Internet Horology Club 185
Fusee "Geo Roberts LONDON 5207" (question)

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/5973921187

January 02, 2014, 16:17
Nick Sidor
Fusee "Geo Roberts LONDON 5207" (question)
A friend of mine has a fusee pocket watch, big pierced balance cock, marked Geo Roberts LONDON 5207. Decorated (engraved?) plates.

I have tried to post a pic, "too big".

He inherited the watch from his grandfather who owned a jewelry store in London Ontario Canada.

Can we help identify and date it?

Thanks.
January 02, 2014, 17:22
Gerald Zimmermann
Hi Nick

Check my name (right click on the name and user profile) and send the picture to my e-mail.

Regards
Gerald
January 03, 2014, 01:18
Gerald Zimmermann
Resized picture:

January 03, 2014, 13:43
Gerald Zimmermann
Nick

The british fusee watch was made by George Roberts of London, 27 Marchmont St. Brunswick (London).
As far as I know he was watchmaker and casemaker. There should be hallmarks on the silver case (R G )? that would us allow to date the watch. I found an example of a similiar watch #1780 dating 1826 and would think the given example was made in the late? 30s.

Regards
Gerald
January 04, 2014, 18:55
Joe Bradley
THere was definitely a George Roberts producing watches in London until at least 1832, if there's no hallmark then a picture of the pillars could help. I might be wrong Gerald but is it not unusual that there are so few pins on such an early watch?
January 04, 2014, 20:18
Nick Sidor
Thank you very much for your help, Gerald.

Alas, I only took one picture.
January 05, 2014, 06:49
Gerald Zimmermann
Joe

Without pictures it is hard to tell.

Early watch is one fact the other is that the plate with the regulator disc is a decorative doubled plate. One pin should be hidden (under the regulator) and one or two pillars are not pinned bot screwed.

Regards
Gerald
January 12, 2014, 21:50
Albert E. Feather
I spent years repairing them with my Master Fred Turner. It looks like a verg
To me with a diamond cap on the staff.?
It should have a silver stamp on the case ? I think you may find this ID in Britain's Book. I have on looks very close to your watch. Bought in Mildura Vic Australia.Came over very early for Australia. Most Verg watches were re fit with lever escarpments in the UK. So they are not as easy to find unless you are in the Colonies?
Regards Albert