• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fusee "Geo Roberts LONDON 5207" (question) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A friend of mine has a fusee pocket watch, big pierced balance cock, marked Geo Roberts LONDON 5207. Decorated (engraved?) plates.

I have tried to post a pic, "too big".

He inherited the watch from his grandfather who owned a jewelry store in London Ontario Canada.

Can we help identify and date it?

Thanks.

Posts: 124 | Location: Ottawa in Canada | Registered: December 21, 2012
posted
Hi Nick

Check my name (right click on the name and user profile) and send the picture to my e-mail.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Resized picture:

posted
Nick

The british fusee watch was made by George Roberts of London, 27 Marchmont St. Brunswick (London).
As far as I know he was watchmaker and casemaker. There should be hallmarks on the silver case (R G )? that would us allow to date the watch. I found an example of a similiar watch #1780 dating 1826 and would think the given example was made in the late? 30s.

Regards
Gerald

posted
THere was definitely a George Roberts producing watches in London until at least 1832, if there's no hallmark then a picture of the pillars could help. I might be wrong Gerald but is it not unusual that there are so few pins on such an early watch?

Posts: 78 | Location: Nottingham in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 30, 2013
posted
Thank you very much for your help, Gerald.

Alas, I only took one picture.

Posts: 124 | Location: Ottawa in Canada | Registered: December 21, 2012
posted
Joe

Without pictures it is hard to tell.

Early watch is one fact the other is that the plate with the regulator disc is a decorative doubled plate. One pin should be hidden (under the regulator) and one or two pillars are not pinned bot screwed.

Regards
Gerald

posted
I spent years repairing them with my Master Fred Turner. It looks like a verg
To me with a diamond cap on the staff.?
It should have a silver stamp on the case ? I think you may find this ID in Britain's Book. I have on looks very close to your watch. Bought in Mildura Vic Australia.Came over very early for Australia. Most Verg watches were re fit with lever escarpments in the UK. So they are not as easy to find unless you are in the Colonies?
Regards Albert

Posts: 3 | Location: Victoria in Australia | Registered: January 03, 2014