Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What is This????? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi All, I'm a new member and I have this "Watch"-"Clock"? I'm trying to figure out what it is.Any help will be appreciated>

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
posted
Another view.

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
posted
Another one.

posted
One More.

posted
Movement view.

posted
This is a verge fussee,French I think.Runs fine after I repaired the fussee.It was frozen from years of not being wound.

posted
It does in fact look like an old fusee, the case (if original to the movement)looks to me like it would belong in a military application, maybe an early ships clock?

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
I thought maybe it was a s\ships clock or possibly a coach or carriage clock. It has a magnifying lens in the bezel to help see it at a distance. It looks like it has always been together.

posted
87 PEOPLE HAVE VIEWED MY POST AND ONLY ONE REPLY.WHERE ARE ALL YOU EXPERTS??????MUST BE OFF FOR THE WEEKEND.LOL!!!!

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboard Norman,

I'm not so sure there are "experts" on such a thing, although this is out of my field, as Ray pointed out and you already knew, it is an early fusee, but the way it is all put together is not like anything I've seen before.

Let's see if anyone can run down the names, looks like "Frievel" and "A. Strasbourg" to me.

Lindell

Wink

Take a close look and help to identify this...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Lindell,I think it is Friedel and I know Strasbourg is on the border of France and Germany.I Googled both and came up empty on Friedel.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Loomes Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World 21st Century Edition lists a Friedel, ____ Strasbourg (France) early 19C.

I will see if I can find anymore on the name.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This article doesn't mention a watchmaker by that name but apparently there was a family by that last name in Strasbourg France there were scientists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Friedel

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
I found references to two watches signed Friedel a Strasbourg in a couple of catalogs. Both mention the watches were made circa 1820. One is listed as:

"French quarter repeating automaton verge in a gold open face case."

The other reference is in French but I think you can get the gist of it:

"MONTRE À VERGE en or à répétition des quarts signée ‘Friedel à Strasbourg’, vers 1820."

If I find anything else, I will post. Hope this helps.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
Thank you all.I'm still trying to figure out what it was used for.I can post more pictures if anyone thinks it will help.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

With all the gold cases being scrapped today I cannot help but wonder if this 200 year-old or so movement befell a similar fate and was as many are today relegated to a movement holder. In this instance we may be seeing a specially crafted, one-of-a kind custom movement holder. So as to maximize the viewing effect the person who made the holder or perhaps someone along the way (after all, it really has been a long, long way and much could have happened) added the glass magnifiers to heighten the overall effect.

My point is, I thought we might first identify the movement, Ray along with Tom and Mary Ann helped in that part already. Perhaps then consider how it came to be presented in the display case we see before us, I put forward one theory, you may agree or disagree with it or come up with your own.

Those are my thoughts, let's see some more ideas!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
In looking closely at the holder,I too think it was custom made for a specific use.The magnifying glass is very old with tiny bubbles etc.The castings look like very old sand castings as they have many sand pits.In any case,the person that made it was a "TRUE CRAFTSMAN".Again thank you all very much for your input.I'll post another one for you all to see as soon as I get some pictures.

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Norman - I have to agree with Lindell that the movement was placed in this display case made (or modified) expressly for it. Friedel a Strasbourg appears to have made very complicated watches from the few references found, so a previous owner, realizing how special it was, took pains to create this case in order to show it off.

If the watch had been a ships watch, I would expect to see holes or brackets in the case in order to secure it in a larger (wood?) box. Not to say that the movement wasn't originally so. Whatever it's initial purpose, this is a very beautiful watch now housed in a unique display case.

I wish we could have found more information on the maker, but there remain many watchmakers who we can't find any records for. All we have are the wonderful watches they made that have survived, such as yours.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Is there a size to movement. 2 inches in diameter. 6 inches. A photo or 2 of looking into movement. would give clue of the age. Verge, lever.etc, We could also the post that hold the 2 plates together

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
It has already been established that it is a verge fusse,more than likely French.Back plate is about 41mm,dial is about 45mm.It is about 16mm thick from hand shaft to balance cock.Plain round pillar posts.The case it is in is 1 1/2"in diameter and 1 5/8"from front to back.The way the back edge is tapered and the raised ring around it leads me to believe it in a bulhead or dashboard in a carriage or coach of some kind.Here are two side views.Not very good but the best I can do.

posted
Another view.

posted
Norman, nice watch movement, but as other members have already said what it is, there's not a lot I can add to that.
The case though, appears to be a C20th custom built pod to maybe mount the movement into a car/truck/custom car or boat of some description, maybe even to turn it into a desk clock.

There are quite a few early C20th desk clocks knocking around on this side of the pond, that have custom made cases, with brass bands and very deep glass crystals front and back, which magnify the dial and movement.
I've got a couple of those here, I'll dig out some photo's.

John.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006