Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Leonville Non-Magnetic "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
I recently acquired an 18 size watch that I took to be sold by the Geneva Non Magnetic watch co. It is a high quality movement with Geneva seal and a classic Omega style snail regulator. It is fitted to a Waltham 14k gold clam shell case and the dial looks like the Non Magnetic watch dial or perhaps more correctly a chronograph dial. I will try to get some pictures up but cannot do that now. Does anyone know anything about Leonville which is what is on the dial. This one has me curious. I did look at Lins post on Leonville watches and I note that mine was, to my mind made for the American market as the regulator is marked fast and slow, The case is original Waltham and correct for the watch. It is a real piece of eye candy and fitted to a burl wood box!

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I just received this watch from Deacon and observe the Moevment is signed "Leonville Locle" which is a name used by Meylan for some of their better movements which of course include this beauty. Pictures to come.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I collect C.H. Meylans. I don't know of any connection between it and any "Leonvilles." Pritchard does not indicate that there is any connection. But Pritchard does indicate an NY importer, Mathey Bros. (aka Mathez & Co.) used the Leonville name with various first initials.

I have a ladies E. Leonville in a very ornate 18k enameled J&S hunter case (suggesting that Leonvilles were movements sold and cased in the US). The movement bears no resemeblance to any C.H. Meylan I have ever seen.

Please post photos of the Leonville Non-Magnetic.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Photos, Dial and case . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Movement (s/n 44582)

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
On another site a comment for this same type movement was;
The movement is by Badolloet or C H Meylan depending on which way the lion is facing.
With these watches the Lion is facing Left.

IHC Life Member
posted
David thanks for the wonderful pictures. The watch came from upstate New York and I bought it from a friend. He collects and thought that the watch came from Mathey Bros. originally. My interest was in part because it was a non magnetic and I like the non magnetics. I thought it might have been produced for the Non Magnetic Watch Co. of America or the Geneva based Non Magnetic Watch Co. I wonder if Mathey imported it for the American Market as I understand they were a large concern? At any rate it is a watch that has a beautiful movement and seems to almost purr on winding. Smooth and discrete. Ethan I thank you for the information and I do own one nice Meylan but know little about them.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Pritchard is the source of what I believe to be a myth, that Meylan ever used a lion trademark. I believe that of the two, only Badollet used the trademark, and used it with lions facing left or right. In any event, I do have two signed C.H. Meylans with similar movements to the Leonville, both with left-facing lions. I believe these to be Badollet ebauches or even finished products. None of my many other Meylans have 3/4 plate movements. Despite my doubts that these 3/4 plate movements were really made by Meylan, they are beautiful high grade movements.

Here is a photo of one of my two.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here is a picture of the other. By the way, both have very similar dials to each other, but they are dissimilar to the Leonville dial.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ethan, Thank You! I think you nailed it. Beautiful examples in your collection. These guys really knew their art.

IHC Life Member
posted
Ethan thanks for the pictures. I believe you have it, my watch appears to be a Badollet when I look at yours.

Deacon