• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

IWC Case Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was wondering if someone here can help with this case. The Movement is an early IWC Cal 22 à bascule Piliers, made around 1878/1879 but the case has left me and a few others in Limbo. Has anyone seen a stamp/mark like it?
Is it an American case or Swiss?

Thanks for any info.

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
IHC Member 1555
posted
Looks very much an English case Werner, but isn't plein a French word, my foreign launage skills are not up to speed Roll Eyes

Posts: 2262 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
French to English translation of plein: lots of, many, plenty of - full, solid; plump; replete.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
yes, I've done that translation ( full, solidWink which would make sense, as the watch outer case is solid 14K gold, but a mixture of French and English (14Kt Plein, Warranted) does seem rather unusual!

Another question that is also on my mind, would the bow have also been 14K gold, or would it have been plated, as the one on there at the moment. I'm on the lookout for a replacement and I'm uncertain what to look for Wink

IHC Member 1555
posted
Looks a very nice case Werner, I think any case maker of quality would use a solid gold bow, the one on it imho is a replacement.

regards,
Bila

Posts: 2262 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
That is what I think as well Bila, I'll see if I can find a solid gold bow somewhere.

Regards

Werner