Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help to identify a movement "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi,

Could anyone help to identify the bellow movement?
It likes an Jules Jurgensen, but has some differences.
There are not any mark on it.

Tks,

Paulo

Posts: 48 | Location: Near Sao Paulo, Brazil | Registered: January 06, 2010
posted
Hi Paulo

This movement is a typical swiss bar style movement from the Le Locle region.
The design of this movement was made by Louis Audemars in the 1840's, it became known in the 1850's and was called then 'new movement with rounded bridges' became very popular and faded out of use in the 1870's (it was slowly replaced by keyless movements). Beeing in use over a generation of watchmaking history, used in variations by many famous watchmakers and even more lesser known and made by several manufakturers of ebauches it is near impossible to say who made this given example. Without the original case and without a makers or traders signature it is hard to get more information.
Your movement is a bit simplified and i think it was made in the late 1860's. It was made for the english/american market ('slow and fast')

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
quote:
Louis Audemars

Hello Gerald, thanks by information.
Is the "Louis Audemars" that you said "Louis-Benjamin Audemars"?

Regards,

Paulo

posted
Paulo

Louis Benjamin Audemars died 1833. So 'Louis Audemars' means the manufacture 'Louis Audemars & fils' run by his 8 sons after his dead. And it means the design of this type of watch with rounded bridge came from the 'ancienne maison Audemars'. (and they made watches of much higher quality).
The style was used very fast by others.

Gerald

posted
Gerald,

I lost an prototype chronometer made by Louis Benjamin Audemars.
The characteristics was spring detent, helical hair spring, reverse fusee, etc.
It was in an auction and I lost the end time, look the photos.

Regards,

Paulo

posted
Paulo

I nice watch.
I don't know how it was adverted. My alarm always rings if a watch is placed on a picture of another watch. If this watch was assigned to Louis Benjamim Audemars i am very sceptical and would say rather no!

Please email me with some more informations:

gzdertingen@t-online.de

Regards
Gerald

Picture of Francesco Marco Maraschin
posted
The 4th wheel of the watch is strange, it looks like it goes under the main plate to meet up with the escape wheels pinion. But I do not see how the pinion of the 4th wheel meets up with the third wheel because the center wheel is engaging the pinion of the 3rd wheel and if the 4th wheel engages another pinion on 3rd wheel the on the underside of the main plate wouldn't that render the 'wheel' of the 3rd wheel useless Confused (the 4th wheel doesn't look like it has a pinion above the mainplate). (I hope that made sense)

Best Regards
Francesco.

Posts: 226 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: November 19, 2012
posted
I have 2 questions from that picture. Does it have a cylinder escapement and are the coils of the hairspring stacked vertically instead of being a flat spiral?

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
posted
The movement has a spring detent escapement.
The hairspring has the shape of a cylinder, this is called helical.
The 4th wheel under the dial is not uncommon and it is engaged to the 3rd wheel.

Regards
Gerald

posted
I've never had chance to get a watch anything like that over here, there's the odd spring detent but not many with that as well as a helical balance spring, if you dont mind me asking what did that watch end up going for?
Joe

Posts: 78 | Location: Nottingham in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 30, 2013