WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Smiths 'Goliath' Pocket Watch or Clock! Opinions Please! "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi All,

Whilst sorting through all the project watches that I'm going to dispose of, I turned up this pocket watch or clock - complete with a well used belt strap. (Superb running order and keeps great time BTW).

I thought it was just a piece of '50's junk to get rid of, but then turned this up on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&it...=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

Are these things really so collectable? (I know,I know, stupid question really).
Does this seller know something I don't or is he a 'chancer' looking for a dummy with his wallet on fire?

What would be a 'Realistic' value for these things?

Pic's of my Watch/Clock below, alongside a KWKS Kay's English Lever PW for scale.

As soon as my wife saw it however, she claimed it ....... to hang on the kitchen wall because it had 'Character!!!! Hmmmmmm! Maybe yet another one to wind in a morning ...... Not!

Best regards
John Woolsey.

Smiths Pocket clock

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Movement for the Watch/Clock!
The timepiece was 'Made in Great Britain' (stamped on the movement and dial).
JW.

Smiths Movement

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I know a lot of folks used them as car clocks, but there were/are some men with hands large enough to carry and use watches this big.

My son-in-law is a blacksmith, stands 6 feet 7 in his sock feet, and has hands the size of a catchers mitt. I purchased a watch for him this size for Christmas a couple years ago, and in his hands it looks like what an 18s looks in mine. So, this would just be a nice size watch for carry. To you and me, it's a monster! Eek

The movement in his case is an 18s 15j Longines (as I recall), and fits the case just like the one in your photo. Unfortunately the setting mechanism has a tightening screw that has stripped out, so the time can't be set, and the crown now pulls all the way out of the case. One day we'll get it fixed, but for now it just sits in his watch drawer.

They went though some interesting engineering to get these movements to work in such oddly sized cases.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
JOhn, THe movement is a British Ingersoll movement. I have one on which the dial is marked V.I.P across the top and Florn Jewel above the seconds register. Mine is marked made in Austria. BTW, I have mine hung on the wall as a small clock.

Tom

posted
Mark, Tom,
Many thanks for the replies and the interesting comments.
I wish this thing had a Longines movement in it ......... Big Grin

My wife was so upset when I told her that I'd put it on Ebay with a 'Fiver' start price she said she'd buy it from me, made me feel quite a Cad ...... she Seriously wants it for the kitchen wall Roll Eyes I thought she was joking!
Even more upset when I broke it to her this morning that someone had actually placed a bid on it ........ Clue! ......... could the bidder be linked to the link in my original posting perhaps!

.......Domestic bliss seriously under threat now! Eek

So, what do I do folks, relent and let my wife take it and pull the thing off Ebay (6 days to go), or bite the bullet and take the flack?

I don't like pulling listings off that have bids without good cause, but this may be one of those causes!

I'd be interested to hear honest opinions!

Best regards
John

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
John, Keep her happy, Youv'e got to live with her and they have a long memory. My son once said, "His wife gets Historical especially after a glass of wine". I said "Hysterical"?? "No he said she brings up things that happened years ago. Big Grin. Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
posted
Jed, that's priceless ......... and So true! thanks for the laugh........... and the reminder Big Grin

On a more serious note though, the choice was actually a 'No Brainer' for me. My wife's happiness is unquestionably more important to me than any Ebayer opinion, and especially so as she is now so ill, so whatever makes her happy she gets, if it's in my power!

It does go against the grain pulling listings though, and something I do feel distinctly uncomfortable doing.

However, the watch has had other ideas (and the last word) in the end! I went to wind it this morning after posting my reply to Mark & Tom, and it won't!
Sets time ok, but there's nothing on the winder, just loose. It engages with something, crunches and then nothing, crown just lets go spins free, soo looks like the reason it was abandoned.
May be a dud click spring or something as it was ok when I listed it, but I can't see what's wrong without stripping the thing!

Now to break the news to the bidder............ Erk!

Best regards
John

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Amen to all the above, my friend. Smile I've had 30+ wonderful years with my wife, and I do my best to keep her happy.

You best pull the auction and hand it over to her today......after you get it fixed. Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply and comments, much appreciated.
I actually removed the listing shortly after my reply was posted to Ged.

I ammended the listing first stating why I was removing it, and Emailed the sole bidder, then cancelled the listing (wonder if it was him that contacted Ebay about my Timex listing that got removed!).
It's hanging on the wall running for now, so I'll let it run down before looking at it, can't see any way of letting the mainspring down.

The look on my wife's face and her reaction when I gave her the watch though was worth a **** sight more than anything it would have fetched on Ebay or anywhere else I can tell you.... priceless in fact!

She was like an excited little girl given a long coveted toy, and her big beautiful smile lit up the whole room as usual ..... took me straight back to when we first met and how she hooked me!
I was so choked I couldn't even speak! Sheesh!

Strange how we can look objectively at a watch and think - ok it's a load of crap but someone will love it ..... and then have our nearest and dearest fall in love with it!

A moment I would not have missed for the world I can tell you!
20 years we will have been married on Xmas eve, and it seems like yesterday.

Funny old world eh folks! Big Grin

Regards
John W.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
That's what makes it all worth it, my friend. SmileWELL done!!!

HIGH regard! Mark

posted
John, On an Ingersoll, the mainspring barrel click is under the dial. To let the mainspring down, you must remove the hands, then snap the dial free. You will see the ratchet wheel and click under the dial.

Tom

posted
Many thanks for the advice Tom, really appreciated.
I did wonder if the click was as you stated, but my wife was so chuffed to be presented with the watch, I didn't have the heart to pull it apart then and there.

The watch may have to wait awhile now though as Anne's father died this morning.
We'd been ferrying her mother to the hospital most days since we got back from France a couple of weeks ago, so a lot of things have had to take a back seat.

We've just got back from paying our respects to him in the hospital chapel, it's just so bloody sad it's awful!

At least my wife enjoyed a much needed and unexpected 'happy hour' before her terrible loss, and I'm so thankful for that.

Best regards to all
John W.

posted
John,

I am sorry for your loss my thoughts and prayers go out for you and Anne's comfort in this difficult time.

posted
John, You have my deepest sympathy on your loss. It can be a difficult time. Please try to give your good wife much support at this time.

Tom

posted
Mark, John, Tom,
Many thanks for your thoughts during this rather difficult time, really most welcome and appreciated.

I've appended a photo of the watch now residing on the sitting room wall, looks rather incongruous next to a French garniture clock, but what the heck! If Anne likes it there it's good enough for me, so there it stays. Wink

Warning! Ladies with their own private and personal toolkits, and bags of nails with picture hanging bits and bats are dangerous to have around one's collection of horological ephemera ............ she's rummaging through all my other stuff now to see what else she can hi-jack!

Best regards to all

John W.

Smiths on Wall.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Actually, that's looks pretty darn good hanging there, John. Smile

As to the warning, I guess you'll have to find a new hiding place for your stuff now. (grins)

HIGH regard! Mark

posted
Thanks Mark, Anne has always been the 'Style Guru' in this household (or is it Guru-ess)??Big Grin And very stylish she is too Razz

Actually the warning was more immediate than I feared ...... she just walked into the 'office' to look at the photo and spotted the stainless steel 'S' shaped hook I use to hang my postage receipts .........it's now joined the others ....... dangling pans from them in the kitchen ...... Nothing is sacred .... or safe it seems ....... now, where can I hang my receipts ........
(actually the hook is back where it belongs - I nicked it from there months ago! Big Grin

Best regards
John

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Time to bar yourself in your watch room with your 'ill gotten gains' and try to hold the fort. Nothing is sacred now that we've advised you to open the 'Pandora's box'!! Eek Wink

Regards! Michaelson

posted
No problems really Mark, it was actually a short term loan and reposession Smile
The 'Pandora's box' situation was spot on though! Eek
Regards
John W.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Yes sir, been there, done that myself....I have two daughters, and I don't DARE show them something that might interest them. They know how to play old 'Dad' like a fiddle, and the item is usually gone before I knew what hit me. Roll Eyes Wink

Regards! Mark