Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

GS anyone? Hallmark Headaches "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Thanks for posting the link Sheila, lot of good stuff on there.

The initials 'GS' are indeed used by other casemakers, so it's quite crucial to take note of the shape of the shield (or lack of).

Stockwell used the same shape throughout his tenure, with one two small changes to his mark - the clipped bottom corners of the rectangle, and Copperplate style letters (which I've never personally come across) instead of Capitals.
In all cases, he retains the semi-circular shape at the crown.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
John;
Watch out; you are sliding towards the deadly ‘cartouche conundrum’ (akin to quick-sand)! As both you and Sheila have pointed out the initials “GS” are reasonably common. The date mark “c” does help keep us on track by ruling-out the 18th century metal-smiths. It appears, however, that we can not rely totally on frame/cartouche design. Thus far, I know of three different designs (illustrated below). A triangle top rectangle, a clipped corner rectangle and a round top rectangle and all three cartouche designs are attributed to George Stockwell. Sheila’s find of references to a High Street, Woodford Green, Essex location is great and it causes me to wonder (again) if the various shapes represented different locations of the company.

- Mark Lee

Posts: 148 | Location: Maryland in the U.S.A. | Registered: May 25, 2004
posted
Mark,
Just a quick thought on the shield designs:
I'm not aware of the top two designs you illustrate, but there are 2x versions of the bottom one - the one you described and a similar shape with bottom corners clipped.

Watch cases and similar precious metal products would have been imported by ship, and the UK had many inland waterways and major ports in the early 1900's, which sometimes went well inland.

Each inland port would have had a 'bonding warehouse' manned by HM customs and excise officers who would have checked the inventory of ships docking and unloading there - duty would have had to be paid on goods before being released.

It's quite possible that Stockwell, in view of his prolific importing, may have had to stamp his wares (at least his 'GS' crest)
at a depot in such a port and may account for different style shields.
The cases could have been assayed elsewhere further down the line.

As I said though, just a thought.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
John;
The triangle top rectangle is on the piece that I own. It can also be discerned in the case that Sheila found, but it is in very fuzzy focus. The clipped corner design can be seen in the photo that I first posted. Although the shape is rather indistinct (a possible indication of wear), it does appear to be distinct from either the first or the third shape. I am guessing that the image below is an accurate representation of the variant that you mentioned - is it? What you say about the bonded warehouses makes a huge amount of sense. By not restricting importation to one port (London) the shipping traffic could be more easily controlled. Additionally, transportation costs would be lower.

- Mark Lee

posted
Cary;
Thanks! The visuals are exactly what we needed. Showing out the upside-down marks versus the right-side up "GS" you have underscored John's point about the markings having been made at a different time. Again, thanks

- Mark Lee

posted
Must confess I've come across this before with other markings, but never really thought anything of it other than maybe the case stamper had had a few too many beers the night before!.

Will have to start taking more notice methinks!

I've got the triangular crest listed in the profiles in the maker's reference I use, but so far I haven't found anyone that used it.
Can you confirm that the initials in your example are 'GS'?

Best regards
John

posted
John;
Yes; the initials enclosed in the triangle top rectangle are "GS". However, I should point-out that the cartouche itself has more rounded corners than I showed in the initial diagram. The corners are not as sharply angular.

- Mark Lee

posted
Mark,

Looks like a few different shields are popping out the woodwork, wonder how many others out there aren't catalogued yet?

John

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
John,
I can answer that one! Hundreds!

I love case marks and I have tons of new ones that I have collected.
Trademarks, case marks, makers marks, it's so large I am making my own from so many sources I have to reconnect the marks to the books, sites, and other sourches I got them from.

Now if I only knew how to organize them in paper form!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Sheila, being an experienced family historian, could you not use your family tree software as a means to catalogue all your info?
I use Family Tree Maker, which has all manner of folders per person to add info and images.
It also allows the printing out of info in various formats.

I'd put all those makers in alphabetical order and steadily work through them, putting each one on hard copy and the rest into a DVD archive too - you'd need it with all those images.
It'd be a killer to lose all that hard work!

You and I actually have more in common than you may realise, and I for one understand the pressures of time you're under whilst doing all that research.
I have to say, that making your research so freely and gladly available as you have in helping folks on the boards here, is Absolutely Magnificent!

I'd just like to say a big *Thank You* if I may, on behalf of Everyone for what you bring to the boards!

Best regards

John