WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

the Worshipful Guild of Clockmakers, 62nd in London Livery "Click" to Login or Register 
posted

I am trying to get a bit deeper into British watchmaking when the Worshipful Guild of Clockmakers was in full power, say before 1850 or so.
I have this watch, and, insted of putting silly questions, I would like to have your thoughts & comments to start the ball rolling. Would you kindly help me?
Thanks and regards
Mario

Posts: 277 | Location: Cardano al Campo in Italy | Registered: March 29, 2008
posted
Some typical good quality engraving on the cock and barrel bridge
Yet very crude on the plate with Advance / Retard
gradient. A snail? and a Leopard? looks very crude in comparison

imho

Posts: 43 | Location: Kirkcaldy, Fife in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 26, 2014
posted
Hi Ken. Right, snail & leopard. The movement is still very sound (I have moved it to look at details, and I gave 1 and half rows of chain, and ticks quite loudly on my desk since a couple of hours). The hallmarking on the consular case is 1814, London (all ok, the right leopard heard, and lion) I can't foind out the silversmith [WM with a kind of star above]. The diamond endstone is rather large, say 1.5mm across, with some diamondlike facets (see below),Would you kindly elaborate further ?
Thanks & regards
Mario

posted
Hi
I can't make out what the engraving Name etc says ?
can you post a picture side on showing the pillars
and also a picture of the dial ?

http://www.clockmakers.org/
was lucky enough to visit the museum at the guildhall a couple of years ago, a completely mesmerising experience. The watches they have on display are stunning.
A visit to Greenwich is also an unforgettable experience Harrison was a genius.

Posts: 43 | Location: Kirkcaldy, Fife in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 26, 2014
posted
Here it's Ken

and the dial

posted
the writing is 'Geo Rootsey' 'London' 'N.506' I couldn't find out anything about mr. Rootsey
Reagrds
Mario

posted
Hi
Looks a nice Fusee Verge escapement with round pillars std type for the period
is there anything under the dial ?

posted
Hi
on second look
the Balance cock on early Verge watches were normally shaped to the balance and pierced/engraved

This one has what looks like a late shaped fusee balance cock ??
I have a similar verge with diamond endstone I'll dig it out and post a picture tomorrow just for comparison

posted
Have a look on this site for silversmiths marks

http://www.silvercollection.it...rmarks3WQUATTRO.html

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
A good London verge watch, standard in most ways but with a diamond end stone on the balance cock. There were many such watches produced in England by many makers. Watchmaking was a big trade there and the only way one could become a watchmaker was to serve a long apprenticeship ...and only if you were a guy!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
Right, William, but a lady could lawfully engrave her name on a movement ? I have seen some in the second half of XIXth century. From this I infer that the name on a movement could either be the name of the watchmaker, or of the seller (a jeweller, mainly). Now the chapter of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers says that any imported watch should be marked as such. I guess they imported true ebauches,99 % ready but not working, had them finished by a freeman (thus giving birth to the watch ...) and then sold to jeweller. A bit complicate but a quick way to make profits