• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Roskopf Railway Watch Cheat "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Recently clearing out some of my watches, I turned up this little gem!

It's a Roskopf Patent 1A watch with a twist, it has fake jewels added.
Not only are they fake in that they don't actually do anything, they're not even jewels but discs of red celluloid!
How cheap is that!

The plates are quite different from the usual Roskopf fare too, in that they're alluminium with a small amount of engraving.
Usually, they're dead plain brass plates, often with a stamped steel balance cock.

Unusually too, the balance jewels are actually jewels, and the staff has normal pivots, where the norm is usually the conical type running in brass or steel plugs.

The big difference with Roskopf movements, is that the motionwork for the hands is driven directly off the back of the manispring barrel, which has a light friction hub enabling the hands to be set.

Otherwise, they're similar to other pin pallet movements such as Ingersol & Smiths etc.

I doubt it would have been used for railway timing though, more likely aimed at the rail enthusiast .............

John

Roskopf Railway Watch

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Case Back view.

JW.

Roskopf Caseback

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Motionwork driven by mainspring barrel.

JW.

Motionwork

posted
Movement.

The hairspring was mostly ok, just caught up in the curb pins!

JW.

Movement

posted
Close up of 'Jewels'!

JW.

Jewels

posted
Inner Dome with medal adornments!

JW.

Inner Dome