• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

European case? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This is an Elgin 162 in what I believe is a European case.

The bow is perfectly round, but is distorted in the picture. The case has Jurgensen lips, and the back hinge is offset at 7 o'clock.

The cuvette reads Guy & Cie, Au Havre, J C Barr. The initials on the back are JCB, so Barr was the owner.

I can't find any info on Guy & Cie. The case shows no addtional screw marks, and I can't make out one mark on the case. Why is an Elgin in a fancy European case?

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
CAse back

posted
Inside case back

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Could this be a key wind case that has been adapted to suit a stem wind? Perhaps the key hole was never drilled in the back lid. If it is a top end gold case I can see why the jeweller would want to use it if he could. That would also explain the hinge position. Perhaps the movement was in another case and the jeweler was asked to fit it into a gold case. Might have done the owner a deal to use up the old case. Lots of posabilities with this one.

Posts: 431 | Location: South Victoria, Australia | Registered: January 18, 2007