• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Samuel Woog, AKA Charles Rubens. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Has anyone ever come across a watchmaker or retailer by the Name of Samuel Woog (Genéve), possibly otherwise known as Charles Rubens who worked as a jeweller in the USA.

I have a Swiss pocket watch inscribed with Woog's name on both the dial and movement, but I'm now wondering if he was a retailer rather than a maker.

Trawling the web, I contacted a member of the Woog family researching their ancestry, who came up with the surprise link with Woog and Rubens.
We're now trying to work out if it's the same chap, his age relative to the watch is about right too.
The lady lives in Switzerland and has the 'ear' of a few watch houses it seems, so some more research is going on there.
I'd like to know if Rubens was well known in the US at all.
This is the comment the lady wrote back to me:

"One Samuel Woog became very rich, dealing with diamonds. He was known in the USA under the name Charles Rubens, where he lived part of his
life. He died in 1908 in Paris".

Photo's of the watch below.

Regards to all,

John

Woog Swiss Cylinder

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Shot of the movement.
John

Movement

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006