WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  European Pocket Watch Forum    Can anyone provide info on the maker/date of manufacture of this watch?
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Can anyone provide info on the maker/date of manufacture of this watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This is a "first attempt" at posting. If successful, I will provide additional photos as separate messages.

NOT sure whether the inscription is supposed to be "Wm. Step Henson" or "Wm. Stephenson"

Posts: 17 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: April 26, 2012
posted
Additional photo

posted
Additional photo-hallmarks

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
ouch!
Nice one accept for broken chain.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
In "Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World" by Loomes, William Stephenson, London is listed as active 1794-1820. I will see if I can find any other info.

A close up of the case hallmarks could help date it.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
For some reason, I hadn't considered "London" as part of the maker's name but rather the location of manufacture (!!!!). I'll work on getting a better picture of the hallmarks. THANKS for the info!

posted
I'm adding two closeup images of the hallmarks

posted
And the other...

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Sorry if I confused you, Stephenson was working in London, I forgot a comma after his name.

The case marks are the lion with the paw raised is for .925 silver, the lion's head with the crown is London, the lower case "u" is the date & if I am reading the chart correctly the date is 1795. The bust of a person is the duty mark showing tax on the item had been paid to the crown. Last the letters "IA" are the makers mark, so far I haven't found who that was.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Tom: Many thanks for your research. This is a "new" area for me. A relative gave me several old pocket watches years ago. More recently, I was talking with a friend who is very knowledgable about watches about them, and I sent him some pictures of them. He knew all about the others (there is another one that I'll post later) but this one had us "stumped."