Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question about Chronographs and Rattrapantes "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1860
posted
So I listed a Frodsham pocket watch movement yesterday that has shown quite some activity with views and watchers. One then-prospective (no longer interested since I am apparently "a liar and not knowledgeable), pointed out that the watch I listed (pictured below) is not a split seconds movement. He/she was arguing that I do not know the difference between a simple flyback chrono, a split-seconds chrono, or a double chronograph. Immediately, the last two he listed out struck me as odd because they're the same thing... Anyways, I just need someone to help me clear this up so I can have my item listing without fear that I am selling something that is not the truth.

How I describe the watch in my listing: First, it has a simple split second (rattrapante) complication. The center seconds hands will tick away as any seconds hand would, but when you press a pusher on the side, one hand stops while the other keeps moving. Once you click the pusher again, the stopped hand flies back to catch up to the other seconds hand.

I want to make it clear - one center hand is ALWAYS moving. It does not reset back at the 12 oclock position. When I do reset the stopped seconds hand, it doesn't match up perfectly, but I know it should based on the mechanism beneath (just a side note).

Posts: 32 | Location: Virginia in the USA | Registered: June 18, 2013
IHC Member 1860
posted
Under the dial

IHC Member 1860
posted
Movement side

posted
Hi Gary

Your watch is a nice and rare example of a 'simple split-seconds chronograph' that does not fit exactly to those phrases.

another example with explanations

Just put the term in quotes, describe how it works and let others do their hair-splitting if they need it to boost their ego.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Member 1860
posted
Gerald,

Thanks for the info! I've adjusted the listing accordingly and notified the buyer. Whether or not he's satisfied with the answer, so be it - like you said, let the others do the hair splitting

-Gary

Picture of Francesco Marco Maraschin
posted
Great watch !!

Posts: 226 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: November 19, 2012
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
a movement by one of the great ones !!!! Eek WOW!!

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Gary, I went at it with him as well. He is arrogant and extremely pompous. I told him I would rather be known as a nice guy like my father was than as an expert in watches. he told me and I quote " I would never want to be called a nice guy". Write him off and ignore. great movement, hope you knock it out of the park my friend!!

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
IHC Member 1749
posted
Have not been here long, not an expert, avid collector but in the time I have been on here ,there seem to be some really nice helpful people and then a few pompous jerks

Posts: 56 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: November 13, 2012
IHC Member 1860
posted
I ended up selling the movement to a clockmaker from the present day Charles Frodsham & Co. He's looking to case it up by creating it himself! Glad to have sold it to a good home rather than the "pompous jerks" out there.

posted
Gary

That sounds great !

A watch manufacorer sells back his historic time-piece

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009