Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gruen Verithin Pocket watch help needed "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
I recently aquired an Gruen Verithing Precision Pocket watch, size 12, 17 jewel with serial number 4-230555.

Can anyone tell me the production date?

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
It appears that either no one has this information or there is no information available.
I would just like to know about what decade this watch was made? Thanks!

posted
Hi Ernie,

Is there any chance of posting any photo's, it would help enormously if you could.

Even when serial number data isn't often available, and it looks like this may be the case here, a lot of info can be gleaned from bridge, escapement and regulator styles etc.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
I will try to post a photo. My camera is terrible so I try to scan it. sometimes it comes out good but other times it doesn't. Thanks for an answer. I was beginning to think I was invisible. Ernie

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is a scan of my Gruen pocket watch.

posted
Ernie, I know very little about Gruen watches, and not enough to make an informed opinion on your watch unfortunately.

By doing some 'Googling' I came up with the information that all company records of movement serial numbers were lost in a fire in the 1940's, so I reckon any chance of an accurate date for your watch will come from the efforts of a private researcher.

From what I've read though, I'd pitch the era of your watch somewhere in the first 2 decades of 1900, but I could be way off.
The 'Verithin' was introduced in 1903/4, so at least that gives a start point.

You may have seen this site, but for anyone who hasn't, it's a good history of the Gruen company.

http://www.pixelp.com/gruen/

Can anyone else help here please?

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Hi John:

Thanks for your effort. I researched that site and read everything they had published. The serial number of my watch has a hyphen between the first number and the rest of the number. I am wondering if the hyphin makes a difference in reading the date in the chart. Did the earliwer Gruens have a hyphin in serial number?

posted
I don't know about the hyphen at all Ernie, but I did find another Verithin during my web prowls which has a '2' and a hyphen - this was dated to approx 1933, so seems it probably does have a bearing.

http://www.trocadero.com/consignments/items/807313/item807313.html

I think the hyphenated serials may have come about following the limited edition runs of their aniversary watch in which the second run used up the 50 remaining movements of the first series.

Best regards

John

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Thanks John. I can't be sure but from what I have also been gathering and my gut reaction I think my watch couldpossibly be dated in the late 1930-to early 1940's. Does anyone else have a best guess? Ernie

posted
Ernie,
This is a long time from your original post, but I also have a Gruen veri-thin serial # 4-151492 precision 17j.
The only info i have on this is it is inscribed with a name and he worked at The Western Cloth Shade Co. from 1920-1945, so I imagine the watch would be fom the 1945 era.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
Here is the dial of this Gruen

posted
the movement, ser# 4-151492 17j precision

posted
inscription on case.
If anyone has any info on the date of manufacture, etc., or the name on the case. I can't find anything on the name or the company.
Thanks, Bill

posted
Western Shade Cloth Company Chicago 1915

Gerald

Western Shade Chicago 1915

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
'The Auburn Citizen, May 12, 1926'

Regards Gerald

Western Shade Cloth Company

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I can not find much on a Frederick Agonath, only that there was one born Dec 30, 1904 in Illinois & died Dec. 1973 in Brookfield Illinois & he was married to Alice E. Delaby who died in 1990

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Bill:

Our watches are ver similar. I agree thay had to be from around 1945. Our serial numbers 79,063 apart. If they numbered then sequentially mine would be later than yours. Thanks for posting.

Here is a photo of my dial. The aribic numbers are close but they used slightly different fonts. Look at the number "7".

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
The movements are also a little different. It looks that yours was gilded. Mine appears to be stainless or at least silver in color. It has the look and color of stainless.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Inside my case back it reads, "Gruen, Veri-Thin, cased and timed in USA by The Gruen Watch Co., Keystone 10K gold filled. 385-819

posted
Thanks all for all the info, I don't know how you do it Tom. The dates you have for Agonath probably line up well with the watch.
Ernie, my case is basically marked the same only in a wadsworth case. I also have the original felt lined box with the one I have. I am saying this actually prior to receiving my watch yet, but will be here shortly.
Thanks again,
Bill

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Bill, please post the case number from your Gruen watch.... you stated it was a Wadsworth....

Thanks,

Regrds,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Hi Jerry,
The case is marked Gruen Veri-Thin,cased and timed U.S.A Gruen Watch Co. Wadsworth 10k filled
G562876
Hope this helps,
Bill