Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gruen Verithin Pocket watch help needed "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I thought that perhaps the Wadsworth Case database would help in determining the age, but alas, it does not....

Sorry....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is a very informative web page on Gruen watches. The author claims that Gruen VeriThin watches were pre-1930; whereas watches with a hyphen Veri-Thin were made after 1930.

Gruen Watch Web Page

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
posted
Hi all,
Just as a addition to an earlier post here about my Gruen Verithin watch, with the inscription Frederick Agonath from the Western Shade Company.

About 8 months ago I received an e-mail from Lin advising that a relative of Fred Agonath had contacted him about the watch and wanted to contact myself if possible. I did speak with this person and she had been a relative of Agonath, and advised me of some background on the Western Shade Co. She also wanted to know how the watch came into my possession and was advised that it had been purchased on e-bay, very friendly and informative woman, she was a niece or something of that sort. That had happened quite some time ago, so in the passing of time it was mainly forgotten.

Then about a month ago I got a call from Lin stating that there was another woman who had contacted him about this same watch, and she also had wanted to make contact with me about this watch. I called her and she was a relative of Fred Agonath also, and was a little distraught in the fact that she had nothing to remind her of her uncle, and that the immediate family had disposed of any items without consultation or whatever with the more distant family. I offered to send her the watch, at which she was most appreciative, and of course she volunteered to re-imburse me my costs etc. I have had several conversations with this woman since the initial contact, and she has seemed more and more pleased, both with my willingness to part with the watch and the IHC 185 board for the friendliness and helpfullness of all.

She just sent me an e-mail this evening stating that she received the watch, in excellent condition, with the plastic box it came in, and expressed her happiness at the whole endeavor of talking to us at IHC 185 and finally getting something that will be cherished as a family momento, to cherish in the coming years.

Just another reason to be so happy myself for being a member of IHC 185.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
Picture of Jon Harting
posted
Hi Bill,
That's a great story with a very happy ending.
I should have replied to this post before with some more information. I have my Father's pocket watch that he carried from when I can remember (born in 1946) until he passed away in 1978. It is exactly like the one that you had. Serial number is 4-132618 and case number G366377. When he came back from the Pacific in WWII he resumed working at the Los Angeles Bureau of Power and Light (now just the Water and Power) in 1945. I think that he would have bought the watch around that time.
Jon

Posts: 228 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Jon Harting
posted
MOVEMENT

Picture of Jon Harting
posted
CASE - with many service marks

posted
Hi Jon,
That watch does look exactly like the one I had, and returned to the family. Seeing it was dated as a presentation in 1945, I have to imagine the production was probably somewhat close to that, at least within a few years.
Nice looking watches and I found very good timekeepers.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Thanks Jon for posting pics of your watch. Sorry for being late in responding but I have been off line for over 10 months due to a fire. I have added you watch to my data base.

Ernie

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008