Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

G. E. Girard Pocket watch. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
With the help of many on this board I have been able to create a bit of history on several of my watches. Perhaps you can help me with this one.
The Watch is 1 3/4 overall diameter. The front cover carries the name R. Shearer who is likely the origional owner. The case also has some interesting enamel decoration most of which is still present. Inside the lid the case is marked C.J.& BRO. with a number 4578. It is also marked with a crown and 18 which I believe is the 18K gold mark.

Posts: 431 | Location: South Victoria, Australia | Registered: January 18, 2007
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Inside the front is a plain white enamel dial. A small chip at the top but not to bad. Inside the seconds dial is marked G.E.Girard New York. One of the hands is a replacement but which one?

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
The back lid has a 5/8 dia star in the middle decorated with enamel like the front. Under the back lid is marked the same as the front. Two key holes allow for winding and time setting.

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
The movement is about 1 3/8 dia. It appears to have 13 jewels. The plate above the main barrell is marked G.E.Girard New York. I can not see any serial number. Perhaps there is something under the dial but I have not ventured so far. The steel extension to the top plate which ancors the hair spring is something I have not seen before. The balance wheel is properly split and is of composit construction. I can not see any other markings. Can anyone tell me anything about this watch? Could it have been made circa 1900 or is it perhaps older?
TIA.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Cooksey Shugart
posted
Stephan, the watch movement is Swiss. The United States W. Co. of Marion in 1870 sold watches of this style. The United States W. Co. watches were 10 size watch, 15 jewels, gilt finish, 1/4 plate, key wind and made to thier specifations in Switzerland. Not sure what Company made the Movement in Switzerland.

See my book page 409.

Cooksey

Posts: 62 | Location: Cleveland, Tennessee USA | Registered: November 27, 2002
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Many Thanks, I have the page. I see there is a listing for Personalised watches of the same type. May be one of those. Can anyone tell me anything about the case and where it might have been made. Someone else has told me that G.E.Girard were a large shop of some kind in New York. In my mind the local version would be a Melbourne store called Dunklings who often had watches and many other things marked with their own name.

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Stephen, You may find this site interesting. It's Griard-Perregaux, and it's history. They have been around since 1791 and although it's not in English you can clearly see names like Gallent and others associated with this company. A search of the site may offer some information, however, these are some outstanding watches and really high dollar too. Who knows there may be a connection, maybe not. Good luck!
PS They did, and stil do, operate in New York.

http://www.girard-perregaux.ch/manufacture/historique_fr.aspx?annee=1791

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004