• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

MOERIS Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A friend has asked if I could help identify his grandfather's watch. I do not know his official designation, other than he was a Major in the US Army, apparently assigned to a gunnery unit.

Here is what I know about the watch:

the word in small print in the middle of the face is "Swiss". The back barely opens 90º, so it wasn't possible to quickly get a good shot of the inside of either of the two back covers.
Inside the outer back cover, upper left, there is a punch of a rampant bear or lion, upper right is a lightly punched rectangle with ".900" (silver? -the inside does look like silver) at the bottom "MOERIS W. MY" in a shallow arch over "SWITZERLAND" - below that is "13604" (all in an organized punch ) and below that "G" and "3" in separate punches.
Inside the inner back is the same rampant critter stamp, the same ".900" in rectangle, "13604" at bottom and "3" below.

The movement is also stamped "MOERIS W. MY" over "SWITZERLAND" next to the hinge - near the spring & escapement is stamped "15 JEWELS / FIFTEEN" and "3 ADJmts"

I've attached images. If someone recognizes the movement, would appreciate any input.

TIA

Gordon

Posts: 17 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: August 07, 2009
posted
I couldn't post a second image for some reason.

posted
Gordon

Moeri was a trademark of the swiss 'Fabrique de montre Moeris', Fritz Moeri, St Imier, switzerland.
With different names and partners the manufacture existed since 1893 until in 1970 bought up by Tissot. The mark Moeris was used since 1925 and this is about the time this watch was made.

The watch is a Chronograph (watch + timer). The movement is a Moeris 19 ligne (~16s) calibre. It is a crown-pusher chronograph with a 30 min register at 12, pin set. The case is silver (looks like it needs some cleaning). The hands are original the dial is beautiful and perfect.

The chronograph mechanism is controled by the central push button at the pendant. A cycle of three pushes starts, stopps and resets the chronograph. The four concentric outer scales in different colours correlate with the coloured 1-4 marks on the minute register and are called a tachymeter. When you stop the time to pass two markings in a distance of one kilometer the scales show the speed in kilometers per hour. The scale in kilometers suggests that the watch was not intented to the british or US market. The highest readable speed of 150 kilometers per hour shows the early production date.
When you use a chronograph it is good practise to reset the mechanism before you set or wind the watch. When reseted the chronograph module has no connection to the watch and can not be harmed when something does not work proper.

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Thanks, much appreciated Gerald. Here are some images received from the Clock Museum in Winterthur, Switzerland.

Of special note are the many Brands and Models they produced, ie, AVON.

Gordon