Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Sandoz 16-size Car Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
I thought I'd share this interesting timepiece. I bought this a few years ago to mount in my 1928 Model A Ford. I drive the car daily, so the clock runs daily as well. For that reason I like to overhaul it every 18 months or so. I just finished this year's routine cleaning.

I bought it at the regional in Dearborn, which I thought was very appropriate since the car was built in Dearborn and the clock was sold by the Sandoz-Vuille Company of Detroit. It has a rather ordinary 6-jewel Swiss movement with an oversize spring barrel. Despite its low-end quality it runs beautifully and keeps amazingly accurate time.

It mounts on the header above the windshield, as seen here.

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
Here's a closeup of the front of the clock. It's very elegant, with a wide rectangular dial and ornate nickel-plated bezel.

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
The movement is pretty mundane but well-made and very reliable.

IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
Here's the fun part, however. Behind the rectangular dial, which simply sits on the movement -- with no dial feet to anchor it -- is a very conventional (though unsigned) pocket watch dial, which is mounted to the movement. I'm amazed they simply left this dial in place when they put the movement into a car clock case!