• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Victor Kullberg Rattrapante "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Victor Kullberg, 105 Liverpool Road, London, Movement No. 2075, 51 mm, 131 g, circa 1872

A rare precision pocket watch with chronograph and centre seconds which just came to me via auction Wink
Kullberg to me is synonymous to English deck watches and Marine chronometers for the British Royal Navy... so not so far away from my original collecting theme Smile

Another interesting thing that I discovered; the watch is not only key wound and set but also Crown wound and pin set...I wonder why that was done?

Case: 18k rose gold, polished, tiered, gold dome, chronograph function via crown pusher, lateral slide for chronograph locking device,
case maker's punch mark "JM".
Dial:enamel, radial Roman hours, signed and numbered, blued spade hands.
Movement: 2/3 plate movement, keywind, frosted, gilt, signed, screwed chatons, chain/fusee, large balance bridge, English lever escapement, heavy gold screw chronometer balance, freesprung, blued balance spring, set diamond endstone on balance.

Victor Kullberg was born at Visby on the island of Gothland, Sweden in 1824 and was apprenticed to a chronometer maker in 1840. On the completion of his training he was employed by Louis Urban Juergensen in Copenhagen, but was attracted toBritain at the time of the 1851 Exhibition. In Britain he remained as a maker of marine and pocket chronometers to which he brought several innovations. From 1860 onwards, thanks to the high quality of his machines and the efficiency of his new forms of auxiliary compensation, he consistently scored ratings in chronometrical competitions throughout the world and was awarded numerous gold and silver medals. With an international trade and reputation he was appointed chronometer maker to the Swedish and Norwegian navies in 1874 and, about a machine entered for the Greenwich trials of 1882, the Astronomer Royal reported that it was 'the finest chronometer they had ever had on trial'. Although unmarried, Kullberg had two sons. On their father's death, 7 July 1890, they jointly inherited the business with his nephew Peter John Wennerstrom. After the death of the nephews, Wennerstrom and hisson bought out the other interests in the business. Subsequently it was continued by Sanfrid Lindquist and survived until the 2nd Wold War during which its premises were destroyed.
Source: Paul M. Chamberlain "It's about Time", New York 1941, pp. 435.

Pictures

enjoy Wink

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Beautiful!

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
nice diamond stone on balance
what a watch congrats.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Quite a beautiful watch. In my opinion, for a long time the English held the high standard for technical excellence. Werner's watch is a really nice example of that! I'd love to see under the dial!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Victor Kullberg,one of the superior chronometer makers for sure!!

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009