• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with a watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Love the sigth,lots of info here. I`m looking for help on 2 watches left to me by my late Father. The first..tried my hand at dating the halmarks.1806. Hampton,925 sterling.chain drive ,key wind and set and the works has Goodall..London on it. sorry about the picks I can try again if yous like...Thanks

Posts: 6 | Location: Wallaceburg in Canada | Registered: January 20, 2009
posted
Hello David, and welcome to IHC185,

From what I can make out, your watch appears to have a Verge movement, and the chain drive system which powers the watch is termed 'Fusee'.

Some more photo's of the watch would be great if you can manage them, as the movement appears to have a very unusual balance cock.

The only 'Goodall' makers I have listed in Loomes Watchmakers reference, are in Weatherby, Micklefield and Aberford.
These date around1731 - 1801.
There is a 'GoodHall' for London, William b.1751, CC (Clockmakers Company) 1765-1772, but looks to be a bit early for your chap anyway.

Maybe if Tom or Clive look in at some point, they may be able to add something, having the later volume of Loomes to check.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Hi John sorry about spelling going to fast, here is the face of the watch

posted
Very nice David - a complete 'Pair Cased' example too.

These very often part company over time, and it's great to see yours still has the outer case.

The pendant still appears to be in quite good shape too, these and the aperture in the outer case get terribly worn from continually taking the watch out to wind and set.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
The second watch is a Tobuis , Dad called it the slave watch I`ve got to get help with this camera Smile. This is the only pic to turn out.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi David

Welcome to the club, John is the man if you want information on these watches, the only thing I can offer is what is in the newer edition of Loomes.

It lists a GOODALL, CHARLES London (Covent Gardens)1795-1824

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Thanks Tom, every bit of info will help. I think I have some better pic. to help.This is the Goodall.

posted
This is the Face of the Tobuis

posted
and the back of the Tobuis