Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help Identify Maker of Swiss Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I person I know has emailed me some photos asking for help identifying the maker.

The dial is marked Henry Richard Geneve.

The watch is an approx. 10s & in a 18K case.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The movement I thought was interesting in that the center bridge & balance cock are all one bridge.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

posted
Tom, it could be an early Longines movement.
I've also seen similar types with 'Mathey' as the maker.

Not sure about the combined bridge and balance cock on them, but the regulator and escape cock styles are very similar.

The three screws on each of the winding wheels, plus jewelled centre wheel is an extra touch of quality too, so certainly in that league I'd say.

That hairspring also appears very small in diameter compared to the size of the balance, and the stud plus curb pins are very close to the centre - is it a 'Helical' hairspring do you know?
(the coils will be stacked above each other rather than in a spiral)!

John

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks John I was hoping you would see this, I do not know about the hairspring. I will ask the owner.

I have suggest he join the club & I will forward the link to him & perhaps he will answer.

I am trying to research the name on the dial but it isn't in Loomes so I will see what else I can find

Tom

posted
Tom, the name on the dial and movement could be a retailer, or even a lone craftsman in a small shop turning out bespoke movements.

If it has got a helical hairspring, then it's fine craftsmanship a cut well above the average!

Some really good close-ups of the escapement would be good if you can get them.

The lever looks to be very long too, and could have some sort of 'moustache' type counterpoising and banking arrangement.

Definitely a Quality piece!

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks John I really appreciate it.

I sent the link to the owner, so perhaps he will join. I meet him by phone, he has a web site where he sells pocket watches & he mentioned that he had just purchased some European watches & I offered to help try to identify them & also invited him to check us out.

Also I haven't forgotten the movements I need to look for for you. Just never seem to get to it but I promise I will.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The owner emailed me & he advised the hairspring is flat. He plans one joining & his name is Marvin in case you see him posting.

Tom

posted
Thanks Tom, don't fret about those movements, no great rush as I'm busy disposing of all my runners and surplus engineering gear at the moment.

It'll be interesting to see some closer images of that movement, I can't make out the hairspring at all, must be a very small overcoil on it!

I'll lookout for Marvin, it'll be great if he'll post up some of his gems!

John