Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

George Prior Verge Fusee - Turtle Case! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I just came back from a neighboring town where I got a call about an old pocket watch they called me about for sale. Interesting enough it was well worth the trip. quad case Tortoise shell Verge fuse made by well known George Prior London. Here are a few pictures thought you all would enjoy. Just don't see these all together much anymore especially in little towns like I am around. Came with a chain and key also. Sad part its not running but the balance looks ok and the chain is in tact.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted

IHC Life Member
posted
another case

IHC Life Member
posted
hallmarks

IHC Life Member
posted
movement

posted
sold one similar 2-3 years ago for about 1500. great find.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
I have had George Prior fusee watches before but never had on as complete with the 4th outer case like this.

posted
You will do well with this one. Sadly, better in europe than america.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Does anyone here work on these old verge fusee watches. I am wondering if I should get it running before I sell it. I usually sell watches in condition I buy them but I would like to see this old watch up and running. The balance appears to be ok and the chain is in tact but the crown wheel pinion looks a little crooked in there so the pivot on it may have issues.

IHC Member 1860
posted
I've worked on quite a few verge fusees - no idea if I could help without actually handling the watch though

Posts: 32 | Location: Virginia in the USA | Registered: June 18, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Gary but I decided to sell it as is since I got no response.

IHC Life Member
posted
Kinda cool the guy who bought this from me just emailed me and said he is done refurbishing it and he relisted it on Ebay if I wanted to see it. Refurbished