Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Information on ladies watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Francesco Marco Maraschin
posted
Hi all,

I got this watch a while ago for my moms birthday, its a Swiss (I assume) cylinder escapement it has 10 jewels and a very nice painted dial.
I do not know a thing about this watch and was hoping one of the watch experts could shed some light upon this watch.

Needles to say, there are no markings on the movement or case (apart from the serial number)

Thanks all
Francesco.

ps the watch is pin set

Posts: 226 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: November 19, 2012
posted

Posts: 226 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: November 19, 2012
posted

posted

IHC Life Member
posted
Francesco,

This looks like a Swiss watch (could be French?) from about 1840 I thnk. Pretty cool.

Evan

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
posted
Hi Francesco

A very nice birthday present!

The watch is indeed a swiss made silver cased ladies watch.
In this very special style it was made to met the taste of the rural customer and it is called 'farmers watch'. Specific for those watches are the colourful fancy dials and the silver frame in the shape of a star, a flower or a heart.
This watches were carried on a multi-string watch chain (called Charivari) with a lot of fobs and symbols as a part of the local costumes. It was the continuation of the earlier chatelaines of the rich and nobles.

The movement of this watch was made 1890 - 1925 very likely by FHF (there are some charakteristich winding parts). In the 20's this movements were the first used for wristwatches 'cause they wer easier to fabricate in small sizes than the lever escapements.

Your watch was made ca 1910 shown by the red 13 .. 24 numerals on the enamel dial.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Thanks Gerald and Evan