Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Repeaters - have any? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
I've read about l/4 repeaters and minute repeaters, and even musical minute repeaters, as well as automated repeaters. I would love to say I own a repeater no matter why kind it is or what it does. Sorry to say I can't. Frown Do any of you own pocket watch repeaters? Confused If so, would you give us any information you can as well as share pictures of your treasured possession or maybe possessions? Confused (Lucky you!!)

Lindell, it would be nice to add a sound feature besides being able to attach text and pictures to our IHC site threads! Cool How about it? Confused Just think, we would be able to HEAR those wonderful bells and clings in repeaters some of our IHC members own! Cool Cool Razz

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
My wife. Big Grin

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Stephhanie,

This is not as far-fetched as some might think. We have been using sound for narrating the program in the Harrison Theater. The IHC spoke first there on May 2nd, and John D. Duvall's Helping Hand Tutorials feature the sound of a watch ticking. So yes, we certainly could provide the sound of a repeater. It's a matter of recording and uploading the audio then setting it up properly. JDD is the man for the job!

So far as supplying the repeater itself, I just bought a couple Bunn Specials and a Dudley Masonic, so someone else will have to come up with that one! My pockets are turned inside-on-the-outside!

That bill will kill this month! Frown

Lindell

Wink Razz Cool Roll Eyes Eek Confused

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell, when did you get your Dudley Masonic?Eek
Pics please..... Wink Big Grin

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hi All , No watches, but I do have Two Repeater clocks, One on Westminster Chimes The other earlier one is a verge escapement from 1700,repeats the hours. GED. Smile

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Here is my one and only repeater, it's a 1/4 hr. with chronograph feature. 14K swiss.
Harold

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Here's a shot of the dial.

IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Thought this might be of interest to some people, The repeater with chronograph(stopwatch feature)I posted earlier has activating gears with extremely fine cut teeth,(approximately 400 teeth on a gear .333 inches in diameter!)The teeth can't even be seen by the naked eye. Pushing the start button allows the lower gear in picture to engage with the allready rotating center post gear and since the teeth are such a fine cut they always mesh perfectly upon engagement. The picture is blown up 600% to show the gear teeth detail. I am always in awe of the capabilities that watchmakers had a century ago!
It's not a Howard, but still a keeper!
Harold

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
I look at these pictures with goose-bumps on my body and a lump in my throat. Harold you said it well, these are one of the ultimate expressions of the watch-maker's art. I'm blown away by the fact they were able to cut teeth you cannot even see without magnification. David, thanks for once again supporting Chapter 185 and having confidence in us. I could add nothing to your...

"If you have never seen or heard a repeater in person, you've really missed out on a treat. They are truly awe inspiring!"

They are truly amazing, I feel like a child each time I contemplate one of these amazing little machines.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
I have a few repeaters, but unfortunately, no pictures of any at the moment. My first was a rather low grade Swiss 1/4 repeater in an 800 silver case, which was purchased at the end of a very long day at a watch auction about 10 years ago. It came with three other watches in a box, which were listed on the auction program as "Four junkers," and they were sold to me unopposed for my opening bid of $20. Unfortunately, at that same auction, I missed a Rockford King Edward, and a Rock Island, which I'm pretty sure wasn't the Swiss one. Frown

My oldest repeater is a French (or possibly Swiss) 18k, 1/4 repeater from the mid 1700s. It's a verge fusee model, with a true balance "bridge" with a skeletonized floral design, and it doesn't have a jewel one! It's KW and KS (through a hole in the dial), and even if you've never heard it strike, I guarantee you it'll ring a bell. Wink

Probably the most interesting repeater I've ever worked on was made by a watchmaking student by the name of Lossier (pronounced "la ZOOer"). It's still in the possession of his family, who live here, and they tell me he spent his career as a movement designer for various American watch companies. I have no idea if he was related to the Lossier of "inner terminal hairspring" fame, but I can say for certain that he was an amazing craftsman. The watch is an 18k OF minute repeating chronograph, with wolf's teeth winding wheels, and its quality is easily comparable with that of a Patek Philippe.

Repeaters have always held a particular fascination for me, but I've always thought it's too bad Bulova didn't incorporate one in an Accutron. That would have been a humdinger!

(Apologies in advance!)

================================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
posted
I just can't believe you "said" that.

posted
This This is is as as close close as as I I will will come come to to getting getting a a repeater repeater..

This This is is as as close close as as I I will will come come to to getting getting a a repeater repeater..

Big Grin Big Grin

posted
Big Grin Aaron

Lindell, hope someday soon we will be able to post "sound". Would love to hear what those repeaters posted sound like!
How about it John Du.? Confused

Harold, Wow!!! Great shots as well. Wouldn't you love to post sounds of your repeaters? Confused

Harold, great shot of "extremely fine teeth" Wow! Smile Must be some complex to work on. Eek

Steve M., What's a Rock Island? Confused Your mid-1700's repeater sounds very nice. What, no jewels? Thanks for the info! Smile

Terry. H. Big Grin Big Grin

Anyone for more repeaters?

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
O.K. showing my ignorance.

What does a repaeter do?
What is the difference between 1/2 hr and minute repeaters?

Please explain.

My main interest has always been RR watches and stuff I can afford. This chapter has really expanded my horisons. I have never even seen a repeater.

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Aaron, oh come on, you are joshing right? Big Grin Confused
We will let the "big boys" explain repeaters! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
Uh,

Nope. I have until recently had zero interest on imported watches and still dont care much for Walthams so I have no exposure to repeaters.

Aaron

posted
Aaron,

Here goes...repeaters are made to sound off the time of day. Older ones are on demand ie push the pendant down and release. On newer ones you have the repeat active or slid a silencer on the side of the case..to not hear it. 1/4 hour repeaters are probably most common. It will sound the hours and then how many 1/4's past the hour. Ex. 6:645 pm
6 hour sounds and 3- 1/4 hour sounds. 5 minute repaters sound "down" to, how many 5 minute segments past the hour. and as you might have figured out the minute repeat sounds minutes after. Some sound hours, 1/4er's and then minutes. Depends on how complicated the repeat function is... Sound is by a "hammer" that hits either a bell, a wire, or the side of the case in repeaters known as "Dumb" repeaters.

Repeaters, I think were made for the, "what time is it in the middle of the night and finding the matches and candle was to much work". Push the watch pendant and you hear what time it was...

Now it time for you to get some books out for further information....Best advice on buying, if it does not ring in the right sequence beware. The few qualified repeater repair people, have a very high skill level, and are not afraid to charge for it. Wink

Regards,
John Pavlik

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Aaron,
Lets see if I can give some information on repeaters without unpacking part of my library.
Earliest repeaters were made by Daniel Quare in England about 1695. This was a quarter repeater, ie. it chimed the time to the nearest quarter hour. Repeaters only chime when asked, that is when the wearer either pushes the repeat button, bolt or pendant. This is different from a chiming clock, which chimes at set intervals, such as on the hour, half hour or every quarter. A watch that chimes at set intervals is called a clock watch, and is NOT a repeater, although watches have been made that do both.
There are four groups of repeaters;
Quarter hour, half quarter, five minute and minute, although half quarter movements are found only on early examples.
A minute repeater chimes the hours from 1 to 12 on a low pitched gong, then chimes each quarter hour on a rapid high/low succession on both gongs, followed by the minutes past the last quarter on the high pitched gong. Thus a time of 9:53 would have nine strikes of the low gong, three high/low strikes for the quarters and then eight strikes on the high gong. It sounds complicated, but once you get used to it you can translate thr strikes without much effort.
Many collectors enjoy repeaters because thay add the pleasure of sound to the senses of touch and sight given by other watches.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
John P,

Thanks for your explanation of repeaters. Smile

Ed,
Thank you for your informative and knowledgeable explanation of repeaters. It's always so good to read what you have to say as your responses are thorough and understandable! Thanks again. Smile

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
Thanks John and Ed, I also learned more. I have been show a few of them [and listened]... the amazing thing is to view a movement.... so {b]MANY[/b] parts! It does take some skilled hands to work on them.

Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Thanks,Ed and John! Now if I just could afford one! Frown

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002