Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Quaker City K/W "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all,
Can anyone help me with how I set hands on this k/w watch. The key hole at the rear is for winding, the movement does not appear to be a swingout, and there is no front bezel for me to gain access to the dial. I tried just popping the movement out from the rear, but that did not seem right, and it did not come any how.
Help please.
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
case

posted
movement

posted
movement 2

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Well you have me stumped Bill, it sure looks like a key wind from the front with that square cannon pinion.

I have no idea with out a front bezel.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I have some cases like this. The watch movement is actually mounted to an inner concentric ring that slips into the case from the back and is artached to the neck via a square extension cut through the outer case rim. It looks exactly like you have this here. Open the back, wiggle the Knob that the bow goes through up and down to loosen the inner ring attached to it that also holds the movement. It should easily lift out of the back and present you with the dial and hands for adjustment. After setting time, you can safely slip the ring/Movement/Knob/Bow assembly back in and close the back covers.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
David.
The case is exactly as you described, thank goodness i belong to this club I would have never thought of what you have shown me. After a little wiggling it popped out. I have since had it out a couple of times, and now it pops out quite easily.
Probably hadn't been out for years.
Thanks again.
Tom if you ever get a case like this , now you will know also.
Thanks all,
Bill

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Yes, thanks David. I have yet to see one like that, I had noticed that notch near the stem but wasn't sure what that did. Some of these key set cases they sure make it fun to get at the dial.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This Elgin takes this whole thing to the limit!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Now that's one I've never seen before, thanks for posting the tips Dave!
Think I would have been scratching my head with that one!

BTW, where would this watch have been maed?

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
That's a very interesting one, David. Like a one piece pair case! I like it!

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted

Hey David I got one of those to but the one I got is a side winder does your case have a patent date of APR 5,1881 Fathys coin No 1 3oz in the case

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted

Here is one that is just like the top one it's most likly a two peice case some call them pair cases.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mary Ann, that is right a 1 piece pair case. It is kinda ackward to pull out the movement.

Mike, this is the case marking I photographed for this watch. I am going to list it on eBay or IHC this week.

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David,
What does it have for a movement?

David,
Sorry I thought yours was the AWCo.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008