Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gallet & Co. Chronograph "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I just added a pretty cool watch to my eclectic collection. It is a 15 jewel Gallet & Co Chronograph. Aside from this being a cool watch and something that I am scared to death to even try to clean, I need help figuring out how to utilize the numbers on the dial. Anyone out there want to tackle this? Eek Big Grin

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
And the movement

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
This is partly speculation, not experience ...

This will measure speed. The black numerals on the outer chapter can be used to time something over a measured mile - assuming the longer sweep hand moves at 60 seconds per revolution. The speed for one revolution will register as one mile per minute, or 60 miles per hour. If the measured mile is completed in 30 seconds, the speed will register as 120 mph, and so on ... I assume this would measure the speed of something like an early airplane.

The red chapter simply allows for slower moving subjects and will be used over two minutes rather than one; thus an item completing the measured mile in two minutes would be traveling at a speed of 30 miles per hour ... maybe a racehorse?

It depends on how fast that sweep hand moves.

Posts: 746 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: December 25, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Is this what we are looking for?
Brian C.

Instructions -I

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Here is one I have.
Brian C.

Different Dial

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002