Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Verge Fusee Identification "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello all,
I'm a new member and look forward to contributing.
I'm in Pennsylvania and generally collect wristwatches but recently came across a stunning, large pocketwatch at an estate sale.
Knowing nothing about it other than it was solid 18k gold and stunning I bought it.
I immediately sent it to my watchmaker who had it for about a month and sent it back yesterday.
There are no makers marks or hallmarks on it,
his best estimate is that it was made in either France or Switzerland around 1800.
It's a 1/4 repeater and has a chime which is amazing.
I'm posting pictures in the hopes that someone in the group can help me better identify more conclusively when and where it was made.
For insurance purposes, I'd also like to get an idea what it might be worth, I've heard anywhere from $2k to more than $5k.
** I'm new to this forum and am having trouble uploading pictures, am I only able to upload and attach 1 picture per post?

Greg

Watch

Posts: 14 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2020
posted
These are the pictures I was hoping to post in the original thread.

Greg

posted
One picture at a time...

Greg

posted
These are the only marks on the watch anywhere. There are 4 sets of numbers stamped on the inside of the case.

Greg

posted

Greg

posted
Movement.

Greg

IHC Life Member
posted
Enlarged photo

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Gregory, welcome to this forum. You have a very beautiful watch. I do not think many regular posters to this forum seriously collect watches as old as your watch. I certainly don't, although I have a few old items. Therefore, I cannot comment on it meaningfully.

Unless there is something special about your watch, e.g., it was made by a notable maker, it probably is worth the scrap value of its case plus $200-$750. Sad to say, the value of most gold pocket watches is more in the case than in the movement.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Hello Steven,

I don't know much about these. I have 3. One is a lever fusee and the other 2 are Verge Fusee's. My lever fusee is from England and it winds from the back as yours. My 2 Verge Fusee's are French and wind from the front through the dial. I have been told that some Geneva fussee's wind from the front also. So I don't think it is French but as I said I don't know much about them. On the regulator on my 2 French watches it says "Advance" and "Retard" and it is my understanding that a Geneva watch would say the same thing. My English watch regulator says "Fast" and "Slow". Other than that you can look at the pillar post to get a rough idea. Egyption, Square, round going from old to newest.

Beautiful watch! Welcome.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Hello Harry,
First, I'm not sure why my last picture says it was posted by anyone other than myself but I hadn't noticed it until I saw your response addressed "Steven".... very odd.
Anyway, my watch also says "Avance" and "Retard" so maybe that makes it English?
As far as the pillars go I would not recognize one from the other. I really have no knowledge of pocket watches or their movements, unfortunately.
Although, I do have to disagree with Ethan's assessment that it is only worth it's gold value and a few extra dollars.
It's a 200+ year old 1/4 repeater that was recently serviced, is running very well and it has a beautiful chime.
I would think that the value would have something to do with more than the simple gold value.

Greg

IHC Life Member
posted
Gregory,

I was the one who enlarged the photo so it could be seen better. Other than that I'm no help on identification.
Sure is a nice looking watch!!
Steve Ford

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
posted
Oh!! Now it makes sense lol
I really had to reduce them in size to upload them.
The originals are very sharp, it's a shame they had to be reduced so much in order to post them.

Greg

IHC Member 1610
posted
Sorry for the mix up Gregory. If it says "Advance and Retard" it is probably Geneva. English would say "Fast and Slow". It could be French but the French I have both to be wound through the dial. Yours being a 1/4 repeater and working chime is a big plus. These repeaters in working condition bring a lot of money. Eric C. Storey in North Carolina is a expert in these old Fusee's. Eric is not a member here but you may find him doing an internet search. He rebuilds these old fusee's. Eric is very busy and he has both of mine and has had them for a couple of months and I am still waiting on estimates of the repairs. He found me on facebook when I was looking for info on one of my Verge Fusee's. Good luck and sorry about the mix up G

posted
Harry, thank you! I'll look Eric up and see if I can find him. I'm genuinely very curious about it and it's history.
I was very lucky to find the watchmaker I have used for several years now. He's been repairing watches for 40+ years and teaches horology at a gem college for many years.
He rarely takes more than a few weeks and charges very little for his excellent work.
he's worked on a number of my watches, both wristwatches and pocket watches and they all work wonderfully and look incredible when he's done.

Greg

posted
Harry, I found Eric and it turns out we have 2 mutual friends!
I've sent him a friend request along with a note explaining my situation.
Thanks again for the tip!

Greg

IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Greg,

That is great news. I am glad I could help. Hopefully Eric will be able to ID it for you.

Harry

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I didn't say that the watch was only worth a few dollars more than scrap. I said "Unless there is something special about your watch, e.g., it was made by a notable maker, it probably is worth the scrap value of its case plus $200-$750."

If you doubt me, look at what verge repeaters have sold for on eBay recently.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.htm..._Complete=1&_fosrp=1

The most expensive recent sale was $3828, for an impressively enameled gold example signed Breguet & Fils (a famous name, not that I believe the watch had any real connection with the famous maker). BcAAOSws8de%7EyyY" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-...9:gBig GrinBcAAOSws8de~yyY

Most of the other sale prices were low

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
Ethan, I was paraphrasing.
It's just that I happen to disagree with your assessment, nothing personal.

Greg

posted
I was able to upload the video of the chime to YouTube and will try to post a link here. Verge Fusee Chime

Greg

IHC Member 2134
posted
That's really cool! Wish I could find one.

Mort Denison

Posts: 175 | Location: York, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 27, 2016
posted
Mort, thank you! I had never seen anything like it and when I saw it I had to have it.
It was in really very good condition when I found it.
I can't begin to imagine the stories it could tell if it could talk.... the hands it's passed through.
The history really intrigues me!

Greg

IHC Member 1610
posted
I watched the youtube video Greg and it sounds great! I had never heard a repeater before. Great watch!

Harry