Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Empire Watch Co. & Harp/Lyre Symbol 18sz P.Watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I do have this ole watch.... Big Grin

It IS an 18sz mvmt and housed in a Dueber silver case and an unmarked DSD of porcelain.

I recently acquired this watch that I am stumpted as to the who/why/where Eek

Simply marked Empire Watch Co. No. 26413 "Duke" and that HARP/LYRE symbol Confused Confused

It is a stemwind/lever-set watch with what appears to be a higher grade mvmt. It has a gold foot on the bridge and that jewel setting is capped.The barrel cover [ratchet wheel] has the two holed access to let down the spring that you generally see on higher graded watches Eek

I would call your attention to the nickel damaskeened plates and the UNIQUE SYMBOL of a HARP/LYRE that is stamped Eek

I am in need of knowing all there is to know about this watch mvmt as I know nothing at all and have come to a dead end. Please expound your knowledge. All observations will be appreciated very much. Thanks for your needed help Smile To follow- 4 pictures;
regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Image 2

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Image 3

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Image 4

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Buster nice looking watch wish i could help in who the maker was. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Buster - I found reference to an Empire State Watch Co. that was affiliated or a part of the Marion/U.S. Watch Co. But nothing with just Empire Watch Co. I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I should run across something.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Buster

I will see if I can find more. This article mentions a Empire Watch Co., the article is from a magazine titled "FAME" A Journal for Advertisers Sept 1897.

I agree nice looking watch!

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is from the Bristol Times & Mirror 04/17/1897 Gloucestershire UK

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Thanks for all the appreciated help Smile

The watch does appear to be a well made timepiece and the little screw on the regulator pointer was throwing me a curveball Wink

Thanks to Samie's advise, it turned out to be just a set screw that you loosen and move the pointer and then retighten to keep it in that position.

I thank you Tom as I do believe it fits all the nomenclature for the London company that you posted. Its in a very hefty 4 oz. Dueber coin silver case that appears to be all original. After centering the regulator the watch seems to keep excellent time and the balance has a full swing and a nice strong heartbeat. I sure wish there was a picture of one of these for the London company known as "Empire Watch Co." to compare the movement to Confused

regards,
bb