• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

can someone identify this pocket watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I don't think I have seen this before. Hope someone can identify it for me.
Thanks in advance.
Bob

Posts: 130 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 25, 2004
posted
another image.

Posts: 130 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 25, 2004
posted
The only mark on the watch is this J&P with what looks like the swiss cross.

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I was just looking at these last night, so look on page 592 in the 2006 guide and if you don't have one, I will copy it and post later today.

Sure looks a lot like yours!

Like Jerry says below this one is marked Chinese Duplex too. A little different, but very much alike.

Sheila

Chinese Duplex

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
I can't see the escape wheel, but I think this is what we call a Chinese Duplex!

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
nope. It's a stright line lever but it has the swiss cross with the J&B initials.
I looked it "The Book" but was not able to find anything close.
Thanks for your replys,
Bob

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Robert,
This one really got to me, and I can't find anything like it anywhere.

Just wondering if you found anything else since the last post?

Sure is a nice watch!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Robert, could we see the dial?

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
posted
Robert;
I do not know if I can shed much light on the identification question, but I have a similar "mystery" watch (not as ornate as yours). I am willing to share the information that I have collected, though in all fairness I must say that I do not know if it will help.

I am inclined to think that your watch is perhaps continental in origin for export to England for two reasons: The Straight Lever escapement enjoyed popularity in England in the mid nineteenth century, but there appears to be no fusee. The watch is also pin set. Adolphe Nichol patented the system in 1844 and E. J. Dent was the sole Nicole licensee who used the “patented design” notation. That notation is missing from your watch. Neither point is conclusive, but indications are that England was not the country of origin; and to my knowledge, pin setting mechanisms were not manufactured in the U. S.

If the case is original (or you suspect that it might be) look for hallmarks. Check the case-back, the front bezel and the frame. A hallmark may give a general indication of point-of-origin. If the face is original (again let your suspicions be your guide) look for either arcade enclosed numbers (Dutch influence), or bright enamel decorative painting (primarily Swiss, but also German).

- Mark Lee

Posts: 148 | Location: Maryland in the U.S.A. | Registered: May 25, 2004