• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

English Skeletonized Movement Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I picked up a couple of early silver cased pocket watches that I know very little about. The first of these scans is a center sweep large pocket watch about 20 size that has a very nice case with an English hallmark of a lion and letters J.R near the bow.
Ornate cover over the movement. More English hallmarks on the inside cover. Push pin on the side of the movement cover and it is spring loaded to open. The movement is marked Richardson, London, and 687. The escapement is a Duplex style. Key wind and Key set. Diamond capped balance bridge. Runs well. Can anyone chime in what I may have?

Posts: 784 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
posted
Another scan

posted
More scans

posted
Again

posted
One more

posted
Another

posted
Another one to show

posted
Last one Smile

posted
Hi Ernest!

Pretty nice watch! British, 1st half of the 19th
century.

Does the seconds hand act like in modern quarz movements (one big jump per second)?

Please show a picture of the movement (closer esp. the balance & escapement area, more frontal and not running). Pictures of the hallmarks too would help.

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Is this watch what is sometimes called a Chinese Duplex?

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
Jerry

Very likely yes.

That's why I asked for additional information

I think it is a 'Chinese Duplex' aka 'crab tooth duplex escapement'.

Gerald

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ernest

I like that watch! In Loomes there is at least a dozen Richardson's in London so I can't be of much help.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Gerald, yes it does sweep like a quartz seconds hand. Here is another scan of the movement not running. Sorry, but my camera is not very good for micro.

posted
Ernest

This picture gave me the information I needed.

The watch is more swiss than british (but it has british elements like the diamond stone) Very interesting for me !

The escapement is a duplex escapement in the manner of Pierre Le Roy and not the (later)'Chinese duplex' of Charles Edouard Jacot

Le Roy 1759 simplyfied the early duplex escapement with two staggered wheels by arranging the rest- and impulse-teeth in two levels on one wheel and made it usable for pocket watches.

Jacot's 'chinese duplex' had double pointed rest teeth looking like a crab's leg. The watches with this escapement often had three 'bat like' attachments at the balance rim.

Both escapements ( + cylinder + lever) were used in similiar looking movements, same bridge design, ornate engraved and market to China over a long period.

Your watch is a early Fleurier style (swiss) chinese market duplex signed Richardson London (probably 1800).
Note the five spokes at the balance.

I found one sister of your watch at the Jones & Horan auction
(same signature, lesser number) here: (scroll down to lot 267).
This watch has the enameled outer case and can be dated 1796 by the hallmarks.

If the watch ever gets serviced let the watchmaker take some pictures of the escapement and balance staff and the dial side of the movement.

Regards,
Gerald