• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Agassiz Chronographs???? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Today, I had a chance to look at an Agassiz Split-Second Chronograph. (16sz.) It is in excellent shape and comes in a 14K solid gold case. I loved it but… I know nothing about these watches.

Inside, it looks very clean but I though that the balance seemed a little sluggish. I only found one service-mark in the case (although I can’t be sure that the case is original to the watch).

From the looks of the movement, I can only imagine how much it must cost to service these watches. It appeared far beyond my knowledge and capabilities.

Does anyone know anything about these watches or this brand. Does anyone know who services these complications?

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Peter,

Did it look like this one?

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Yup! (14k case though)

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
It looks like the split works is under the dial. The Waltham splits are on the top plate.

This one has a register also.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Tom,

Here is a Timing and Repeating watch Co,

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here is a Touchon private label split seconds watch, retailed by Henry Birks.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Notice that all the last 3 have the "sugar tongs" to hold the split wheel. The Aggasiz did not have that feature visible, so it must be on the front plate under the dial. Some people think that makes it more interesting and some people think that makes it less interesting because not so much "stuff" is showing.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Another pair of "sugar tongs," this time on a C.L. Guinand splits seconds watch.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
Bought two!

I ended up having to choose between two nice looking split-second repeaters. Since I couldn't decide.... and since there was a good deal if I bought BOTH, I did exactly that.

The first is a Agassiz, split-second, with duration-register, in 14K gold case. Perfect dial and near new case. The seconed is (supposedly) a Meylan in 18k gold, same condition. Both are serviced and run perfectly in all functions. I'm a bit unsure about the Meylan because I don't see any name markings on the dial or movement.

I probably would have shied away from the Meylan but.... it IS 18k gold and very lovely. It IS a split-second chronograph and it IS near perfect in condition and function. I just figured that, at a reasonable price, I couldn't be too far wrong on ANY high-quality, swiss, split-second in that condition.

I don't have any desire to specialize in these watches but they are wonderful pieces, elegant in their gold cases and.... well.... I just don't see many like this.

I'm just getting back "home" after being "down south" for a week, so it'll be awhile before I can shoot and post photos.... but I will!

posted
OK, the Agassiz is shot and ready for posting.

Here's the front. Under magnification, I'm finding a light HL around 9 and some rough surface on the other side (hidden by the bezel).

posted
Back of the 14K case.

Case is marked 14K on both back covers althought the bow is obviously GF.

posted
Side view of back covers and movement.

posted
Full view of movement.

(Tomorrow, I'll try to post the Meylan.)

posted
Here's my shots of the Meylan, split-second chronograph.

Here's the story. I saw this at the same time as I was looking at the Agassiz. I was struck by it's beauty, craftmanship, and richness of the dial, hands and 18k case.

But.... it does not say "Meylan" anywhere at all... dial, case or movement. I am assured that it IS a Meylan but there is little to document that on the watch itself. I am not familiar with these so I cannot tell by the movement's design.

The movement DOES say Pat. 1880, which was the year that Meylan began business.

Here was my thinking. Because of the configuration of the split-second's, with their extra buttons, it is almost impossible to modify cases or interchange them. And, at the price I paid, would it be worth it.... especially on an 18k, heavy case? Likewise, the dial... I understand these were not standard sizes. So, I have every reason to believe that, whatever it is, it's all original. It obviously is very high quality and if it's not a Meylan.... it has to be something equally fine. I figured, it was worth a gamble.

posted
Hands appear to be gold and the dial is flawless. I can only imagine how few of these tiny split-second hands have survived.

posted
Case is definitely, 18k.

posted
Movement.

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
I am sure there must be others with a similar appearance but it looks like a Meylan to me.

Meylan dials almost always look like American dials as in this case.

What is engraved up at the 10:00 position on the movement?

I believe there is also a Waltham split that has a mechanism similar to this one, but it is so rare that I have never seen one. My understanding is that from the back it looks like a combination of the chronograph and the 5 minute repeater.

When you get a chance to pull the dials off of these some day I would love to see the under dial pictures.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Great Watches Peter and great pictures, Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Thanks Samie...

And to Tom....
The engraving just says "Adjusted" and the Serial Number which is 4659. I appreciate your comments as they confirm my own thinking. Either it's a Meylan or it has to be something at least as valuable. It's obviously a high quality watch in superb condition.

Let me know if you know anything about Meylans, especially when either of my watches might have been made. The Agassiz is #114249.

I paid under high-book for both the watches but... this was a situation where I threw out the book and bought from the heart. When a watch looks like these, runs and I almost never see them..... that's a buy! Big Grin