Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hairspring service needed.... Laco "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
As a collector of military watches, I was happy to get a Laco observers watch from WWII. Unfortunately, the watch was badly neglected for a long time before I bought it. One of the issues is a rusted and broken hairspring. I'm a reasonably competent watchmaker, but not so great when it comes to replacing a hairspring.

Konrad Knirim and others suggested contacting Laco. I was happy to see on their website that Laco still has parts for these WWII watches. However, Laco said in an email that they will not sell me any parts unless I send my watch to them to be repaired by Laco. The basic cleaning/rebuilding will cost 2000 Euros, but that does not include the hairspring and other missing parts. Unfortunately, the total cost of the watch and Laco's repair bill will exceed the fair market value. So, I'm going to have to do my own work, as usual, to make this hobby affordable!

As an alternative to the Laco factory, I'm looking for someone who can replace the rusted hairsping. This was a subspecialty in the old days. But now, I don't know of anyone who makes hairsprings.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Greg

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/...453928697#7453928697

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Billy Kuhn
posted
Gary I have a nice LACO hunters movement. About 16s. It was made just before WWII.
Send me an email address.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Killen, Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 15, 2013
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thank you Billy, email sent...

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002