Tools
Reply to Post

English watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Hi guys,
I have been going through my stuff of late and came across this movement. The case is long gone all I have is the movement the dail and the hour hand. I just wanted to get some history on the maker. The watch is a fusee the chain is ether broken or unhooked. The craftmanship is wonderful.
The dial is plain with no makers name.

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
picture 2

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Picture 3

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello' Nice movement, Usually silver cases taken for scrap. There are literally hundreds of verge watch parts around over here, each representing a watch destroyed just for scrap value.
Anyway to the point Timothy Jones, 18 Ludgate Street, London. 1826-40 Watch& Clockmaker. Listed in Britten.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks for the information Ged, 1826-1840 is way back there. The number 631 is might put it in the earlier years. Perhaps someone else can estimate it even more closely.

Rich, we'd all like to see the dial on this rascal.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell: My experience with English watches is that using serial numbers for dating is dangerous. Three quarter plate movements like this seem to have become most common about 1850. I would hazzard a guess that this watch is a later product of the maker. Remember also that the dataes given for makers in Britten are subject to questions.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002