Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help Needed dating Sam Speer Fusee (London) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
This is one of my recent finds on eBay. I do a daily search for Stewart watches and this one popped up 2 weeks ago. It is pair-cased and the marks match up on both parts except for a small cross on one and a small heart on the other...does one indicate inner case and the other indicate the outer Roll Eyes This first shot of the dial shows a small applied shield with "CSA" lettering. I am assuming at some point a Confederate soldier carried this in the Civil War.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
This shot is of the dust cover. The watch has a faceted diamond end stone for the balance staff and it is viewable through a hole in the dust cover. The hole has a sunburst design around the opening to highlight the diamond.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
This shot shows the movement which has the inscription "Sam Speer, N. T. Stewart." I know Sam Speer is the watchmaker, but I have no idea what the N.T. Stewart is referring to. Could it be a section or suburb of London?

IHC Life Member
posted
These are the markings from the outer cover. I've managed to narrow it down to London and being silver, but the "P" date code and the little heart have me stumped. I think the "P" is either 1810 or 1830 but can't decide which. The makers mark appears to be "MN," but I haven't been able to identify further.

IHC Life Member
posted
This is a shot of the markings in the inner case. Instead of a little heart, it has a cross of sorts. Any thoughts on what this means?

IHC Life Member
posted
I forgot to mention, this old watch actually runs. I wound it up and it ran for a full 24 hours...hard to believe for something this old Big Grin

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
N.T. Stewart is a location in Scotland, Newton Stewart. It is located in Wigtownshire, Scotland.

Also in Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World by Loomes it lists Samuel Speer circulation 1811-1846.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom, shouldn't there be markings on the case for Scotland. Do you think the watch is from Scotland, but somebody put it in a case from London? Or, am I totally off-base thinking this is a London case?

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Bruce, I agree it is a London case. I think it was common for watchmakers to use casemakers from different areas. I am certain the movement was made in Scotland,I would guess Mr. Speer either used a casemaker in London or he shipped the movements to someone in London who then had them cased.

If I was a betting man I would say the case & movement have been together all their life. Not real easy to match a case & movement together like that.

By the way, it looks like a very nice watch, I have always liked those old fusee watches.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Also since Scotland is part of the United Kingdom I really have no idea about how they decided what they considered imported or exported. More so back in the 1830's or so.

I tried to find more on Mr. Speer but so far not anything. The census of Scotland is not on-line, the only year I can find is 1881.

IHC Life Member
posted
Tom, I am really happy that this watch is from Scotland — that's where my ancestors were from...pretty cool. By the way, would you happen to have any info on that case makers initials..."MN?" Thanks for all your help Smile

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Great Bruce, I was guessing you were Scottish, my maternal grandfather's family were also from there.

I will see if I can locate a maker. I think the letter date code "P" is from 1810, the P looks upper case & 1830 looks lower case.

IHC Life Member
posted
Tom, I also lean heavily toward the 1810 date code. I still can't believe this thing runs and I also can't believe the old crystal is still intact. It probably isn't the original, but I am assuming it is quite old because of the small bubbles and imperfections present in the glass. It is also a high domed design which hasn't been made for a very long time.