• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Preston KW - English? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can someone help identify this Preston KW? Year? Model? Can't find any information in the price guide. Thank you.

SN: 157369
Marked: Preston, John Leigh
Size: 18
Heavy hallmarked Coin Silver case.
No marking on dial.

Posts: 357 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 05, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
NO JOHN LEIGH IN PRESTON OR ANYWHERE ELSE IN MY BAILLIE'S

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
From the 2-screw jewel setting on the balance and the so-so engraving, I'd say it's most likely a Swiss fake.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
No luck in the census records for the UK for a John Leigh as a watchmaker.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 456
posted
It's an English watch, not Swiss. Here's one that was on ebay Ireland Leigh on ebay.
This topic should be in the European watches section, maybe someone more familiar with English watches will see it there and be able to give some info.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005
posted
Thank you Mike. It does look a lot like the ebay one. The case marking also look the same. I will post and see what comes up.

Posts: 357 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 05, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
That was the reason I searched the United Kingdon census.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Carlos.
I think you should look under the dial ( dial plate ), you may find some information from there, some watchmakers used symbols such has a winged arrow which turns out to be William Ehrhardt, (I think this is the way you spell his name) a Birmingham maker around the 1890s, He made movements for jewellers selling outlets, such has E Johnson and sons of Derby, UK and Fattoini and sons of Bradford UK, to name a few.
Have a look you may be lucky and find a name or a symbol.
Regards Ian.
A message for Tom Brown, have a look for the name in UK jeweles, around the 1890s onwards this might find the name of the retailing jeweller.

Posts: 39 | Location: Nottingham in the United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2010