Experts?

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011

posted
2 P. Mathey Locle on dial, but movement looks like two (2) T in Matthey

posted
Hi Jon

Nice find !

The watch is swiss made. A bar style movement dating 1890 - 1900, 19j, compensated balance, blue Breguet style hairspring, pretty good quality. The raw movement (ebauche) could have been made by FHF. This type of watches with round shape bars and bridges was very popular in the last decade of the century, the finished movements have a lot of variations and a lot of names (makers, traders and exporters). Not sure if P Matthey Locle is Paul Matthey-Doret Locle.

When you take a close look: some 'repairman' found a very special solution for a center pinion problen.

Are there pictures of the front (dial or not)?

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009

posted
Greetings Gerald,

I thought this one might be right up your alley Smile

Will get some dial pictures for your viewing pleasure.

under dial

posted
Dial - the pinion is there for a standard second hand as well

Any idea for a value? Confused

Is it worth getting her going again. The balance swings freely and will run for a bit, and the big sweep hand looks so cool going around the dial.

posted
Jon

I really don't know what's in your collection if you have such watches in your 'stuff' box Smile

You had already seen the face and I spotted the pin and the 'unused' holes in the plate and therefore knew what's on the other side - i realy did not expect it to be in such a nice condition !

We see a chronograph witout register in the 'british fashion' with all the chronograph parts under the dial (the dial is 'snap fit' witout feet ?), Note the stopable and resetable center seconds running between hour hand and minute hand. I will try to find out who made this chronograph attachment. Dial hands and the chronograph mechanism are in a very good condition. The major problem of this watch seems to be the missing stem.
The watch has a slide-lever setting (not the american pull - push system)

The dial shows the 0 - 300 graduation (common for british doctors-watches or center seconds watches)

The chronograph mechanism (not just a hack) is a true start/stop/flyback chronograph and is constructed according to the first chronograph Patent (US Pat 151899; 1874; C H Meylan).

More informaton to come in the next few days.

Jon I would like to ask you for permission to use the pictures in the swiss PocketWatch Forum (members only and therefore not spread out by some search engine bots)

Regards
Gerald

posted
No dial feet - built to snap on with the "cup" shape to the underside of the dial

posted
Jon

A no or yes to use your pictures would be nice :

Gerald

posted
Oh - sorry missed that question...

Sure Gerald - YES!!!

posted
Any word ?

posted
Jon

Good thing takes time !

I found a few more examples of this watch with signatures 'P Matthey', 'P Hri Matthey', 'Ph Doret' all from Le Locle. I am not sure if they all are different traders or trading names of one person ?

The important thing is that these watches were made by LeCoultre !

Regards
Gerald

posted
If your saying the movement is a Le Coultre - some info can be found on them in the fat book - w/ generic prices

So, this watch would be a split second chronograph or ?

Just trying to get a feel if the watch is $100 or $1000 item. And to summarize the data you have supplied

thanks

Smile

posted
Jon

It's not in the book and it's not a split second chronograph.

An early chronograph without register and with the chrono mechanism under the dial. They were made only a short period and are underrated hidden beauties.

Hard to valuate. If the watch came in it's original gold hunter case I would estimate $2500.

In the given state $250-300 ?

Regards
Gerald