Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help dating a pocket Hebdomas "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Dear all,

I´m a begginer in horology and have this wonderful 8 day, 50mm Hebdomas in my family, it has been repaired and working fine, and according to his first owner age I would say it is from early 1900-1925. I searched all over the internet and didn´t find one like it. I'm wondering if anyone could help me finding its date of manufacture? Would you say it is a rare model or could there be so many different models that it is normal I didn´t find a similar one on the web?

Many thanks and my best regards,
Joao

Posts: 1 | Location: United Kingdom and Portugal | Registered: July 09, 2012
posted
HERE IS ONE I AM SELLING ON EBAY, THEY HAVE MANY MANY DIAL STYLES. YOURS IS NOT COMMON.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAG...&hash=item27c927c49d

FOUND THE FOLLOWING:

'hebdomas' pronounced 'heb.do.mas. It is the Latin word meaning the number 'seven' a week; seven days or the seventh day. I think most of you know that part of my passion in collecting is fired by the 'unusual'. I can not resist a timepiece that has some weirs, awesome indeed unusual feature. Therefore I have always loved (but not owned) a Hebdomas 8 day watch.

These handsome pieces have the novelty of running 8 days (jours) and an open balance wheel and balance cock. The watch was made by the Swiss company Schild & Cie (not to be mistaken for Ebauche maker A. Schild & Cie).
But the history of these unique watches goes back far further indeed to 1888. The history of these timepieces with Arthur Graizely who bought an 1888 patent for an 8 day watch from Irenee Aubry, she was granted this patent in 1889, and it was purchased by Graizely, who founded the firm Graizely Freres (and brothers) and started production.
Actually the watch patent was meant to run for 15 days but runs only for 8 days and therefore was given the name 'Hebdomas'
In 1893 the firm won Gold medals in Chicago, in Geneva 1896, Paris 1900 and Milan 1906 - These medals or accolades can be seen boldly on the back movement.
In 1915 the company was reorganized as Schild & Cie and the patents and trademarks were transferred from Graizely & Cie. Schild continued to produce these pocket eight day watches in a wide variety of shapes and designs alarms, then wrist versions. I believe is still in business to-day.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks Andy for the information.

Also, by doing a "Find-Or-Search" on our IHC185 Discussion Site brings up additional information...

Hebdomas watches

Smile

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002