Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Another Swiss/Australian Pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
This watch came to me in a box lot of 8 that were sold as junkers. I bought them to practice on and this one turned out OK. It is a 16 size solid silver case and apart from some minor dings on the back it is in reasonable condition.

Posts: 431 | Location: South Victoria, Australia | Registered: January 18, 2007
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
I believe it is pre ww1 due to the pin set but can not get closer. Here are the hallmarks that someone may be able to identify.

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
No name or serial number that I can find. There is a symbol on the balance cock but I could not find it in my book. Movement is 15 jewel with an interesting top jewel on the escape wheel. Not sure why it is made removable. The balance wheel is solid.

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
The dial is a single sunk enamel dial and I can identify the symbol on it. A.N.A. stands for The Australian Natives Association founded in Victoria in April 1871. Its membership was restricted to those born in Australia. Since British born men often held positions of power, there was a perception that 'native born' men were looked on as second-class citizens in their own land. The ANA had two aims: to act as a friendly society offering financial support to its members in need; and to promote the moral, social and intellectual improvement of its members. It set its sights on influencing public thinking and government policy on a range of issues and was a strong supporter of Federation.
It also Lobbied for an Australian, rather than a British defence force. Promoted Australian made goods. Promoted land conservation and reforestation and successfully lobbied for a national holiday to commemorate the anniversary of the foundation of modern Australia. It finally became part of Australian Unity health Insurance in 1993. I think that sort of makes this an Australian watch or at least a part of Australian history. What do you think?

posted
Great watch Stephan, and many thanks for your comments on the A.N.A, it's always great to have some of the history behind those dial inscriptions.

It's certainly a part of Australian history even if it is a Swiss watch - And the casemaker looks like he was English too, so quite a globetrotting watch I'd say.

I can't quite make out the year letter, but the casemaker AGR appears to be:

Arthur George Rendell,(Importers),
40/42, Clerkenwell Rd, Clerkenwell.

He registered the same mark consecutively on:
25 June 1907,
2. July 1902,
3 Sept 1907,
2 Aug 1916
and 1 July 1919.
The dates may not be exhaustive, as I've no idea how up to date my book is.

I'll add some more comments on the watch a little later.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Stephen,

The three leaf stamp is a Chester Import mark, and the date letter appears most like a cursive G (for 1907) to me, but it could also be a J (for 1909). The shape of the cartouche is slightly atypical for those, so I could be completely off.

Interesting watch, and a neat piece of local color.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
posted
Good Day Stephen,

It would greatly help in identifying the movement if You could post an image of the dial side of the pillar plate, with the dial removed of course.

Handbooks used by watchmakers to help identify a movement for ordering spare parts are compilations of the images of dial side of the pillar plate showing the winding assembly of a watch as well as other differences like the shape and number of holes of the Setting bridges, Set levers, Rocking bars etc.

Since these are unique to each movement together with the exact diameter of the pillar plate and escapement type, to help and classify them, are used to identify it in the absence of other markings that would otherwise easily identify the movement.

Cheers

Dushan

Posts: 11 | Location: Belgrade, Serbia | Registered: March 04, 2006
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
That's one cool watch, Stephen. Thanks for posting it and your research.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
The Swiss made watches that imitated the style of Glasshutte makers, such as Lange. These watches were priced well below the German originals, but often were of reasonably high quality and often cased in solid gold cases. The picture below is an of an example I used to own. The movement is not identical to yours, but the two resemble each other in a number of ways. Since I cannot identify the maker of the watch pictured below, I cannot identify the maker of your watch.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005