Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Odd "Stippled" Enamel Dialed Touchon "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I recently acquired an 14k Touchon minute repeater from a reputable merchant via the Internet. When it arrived, I was very surprised to find that the signed Touchon enamel dial had an odd, textured "stippling" to it, entirely invisible except when the watch is held at a 45 degree angle to the light. The merchant, who is a member of this Chapter, told me that he, too, had never seen a dial like this, but that an old-time watch dealer had told him that he had seen at least one Touchon with a similar dial. I can return the watch if I like, which I will do if the stippling is a defect, but not if it is simply a feature of the the dial's orginal design because the stippling is not aesthetically unpleasant. If any of you can shed some light on this stippling, I would be greatly obliged. I have attached photos showing the stippling and showing how the stippling is invisible except at a 45 degree angle.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
And now, with the stippling invisible.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
The dial looks great, but you can check for a refinished surface by using a sharp pin to push on the dial surface at the edge back under the bezel. If the dial has been refinished, the pin will go into the surface. If it is hard enamel, it will not penetrate.

Your picture is with the crystal in place. I presume it looks the same with the bezel off or open. If the pattern is in the crystal, you should, of course, replace it.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
The stippling is definitely on the dial, not on the crystal, which is in excellent condition. My watchmaker confirms what the seller advised me, that the stippling is part of the dial's original design, not a defect or a botched attempt to refinish an enamel dial. I still find it odd and I still am curious if anyone has ever seen stippled or textured enameled dials like this before.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I find that fascinating. I hope someone comes up with some info on it.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002