Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Whose movement is this Eaton Beauty? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This beautiful Eaton "fell in my lap. It is a 16 size, and must have been in storage for some time!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I thought I could I.D. the maker from the regulator, but I have no idea! Anybody have a clue who made this?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Ive seen these movements every now and then on ebay and ive concidered buying them. Often ive seen them described as a waltham. I have also seen some info that they are a watch sold by a department store in canada. they kind of remind me of the canadian pontiac cars that were basically chevrolet(novas,chevelles) cars with pontiac names and grills. There are some collectors for these watches because they often sell for more than the "swiss fakes".

Posts: 112 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 16, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I have a few other Eatons that are very fine, one is an Omega, and I think the other is a Longines. This one is certianly a very well finished movement, and I am trying to learn more about who manufactured it for Eatons. The Canadians had no time for "Swiss Fakes" as they purchased plenty of Swiss "Real Things" being that they made no watches there anyway except some "dollar" watches and some finished assembly-timers sorta like Ball company (as far as I know).

posted
Another T. Eaton Serial # 144252 18s 15J
I don't know who made the movement. It has a Monitor GF case. Runs very well.

Mac McKusick
IHC-1043

Posts: 60 | Location: Pepperell, Massachusetts USA | Registered: January 11, 2008
posted
This id the T. Eaton dial.

Posts: 60 | Location: Pepperell, Massachusetts USA | Registered: January 11, 2008
posted
Is it me or does these look similar to a mdl'99 and a mdl '92 walthams?

Posts: 112 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 16, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
There are similarities between these watches and Waltham movements and also Mac's looks sort of like a model 8 South Bend, but the real similarity I see is they both have the same regulator wheels. They are unmistakebly Swiss and the regulator wheel should help us learn who made them. Paul Ditisheim's Solveil had this regulator design and these pieces could well have come from one of the P.D. "splinter's". Vulcain, etc., etc.

IHC Member 1110
posted
I am probably wrong, but I think Eaton's were made by Gallet.I too have tried to get one but usually get outgunned on Ebay.The "Interocean" '92 model lookalike look to be really nice.Are these really railroad grade,at lest in Canada?

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
As a 17 Jewel adjusted 24 hour dial watch, this would well have passed for RR use in Canada. It is certainly good enough! The Eaton's I have include ones made by Omega, and Longines, I will have to look for Gallet movement pictures to see if this is one of those. Thank you for suggesting that.