Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help needed in dating a James Hoddell (London) PW "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1542
posted
A friend of mine asked me to help him date a family heirloom PW. It is a James Hoddell (London) fusee and has a SN of 7084. A very similar, if not identical, movement appears at the ***** Museum site (link:http://*****.pastperfect-online.com/31724cgi/mweb.exe?request=record&id=A3A41829-454E-4855-8E1D-638332539027&type=101) with a higher serial number (7852) and has been dated to 1860. A series of photos should follow if I can get them to load properly. Any thoughts as to the date of origin would be much appreciated.

Gerry in MA

Posts: 44 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1542
posted
Here's another photo (with flash) in which the lettering on the movement is a little more clear.

Gerry in MA

IHC Member 1542
posted
Dial

Gerry in MA

IHC Member 1542
posted
One last image. The case number is the same as that on the movement. Not being familiar with old watches such as this, I thought it was pretty neat. In addition, both of us were hoping the 18 means Karats. Couldn't find this eagle hallmark on-line.

Gerry in MA

IHC Member 1542
posted
Just noticed that the link did not appear. If you want to find the museum photo referenced, just Google James Hoddell in Images.

Gerry in MA

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
"Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World" by Brian Loomes lists the following;
Hoddell, James & Co.Coventry & London 1857-81

I will see if I can find more on him.

As to the case, I know I researched that same Eagle & 18 in the past for someone, it is reported to represent 18K gold. I can't recall the date that was used & by who. If I can find more I will post it.

Nice watch by the way, I like the window on the balance cock.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
If the book I quoted above is correct that James Hoddell worked both in Coventry & London, then it appears James was born about 1814 in Hereford, Herefordshire, England & died April 15, 1889.

He had a son named Cope Watkins Hoddell who was born in Coventry, Warwickshire, England in about 1841.

I found notices of court hearings in the 1880 & 1890 in London where a Cope Hoddell was doing business as James Hoddell & Company as watch manufacturers.

In the 1861 England census for Coventry it lists James Hoddell as a watch manufacturer & he employed 30 men & 7 boys. His son Cope is also listed as a watch manufacturer.

Tom

IHC Member 1542
posted
Tom: thanks very much for your research and reply.I looked over several sites that had information on British hallmarks and could not find the eagle, and would appreciate anything more you might have to offer. Not having had much experience with watches of this vintage, I have to say that I was stunned by the aesthetics of the watch; I, too, really like the little window on the balance cock. So, if James Hoddell had 37 folks working for him in 1861, I wonder how many watches they could turn out in a year. There is a difference of about 800 in the two serial numbers mentioned: the one already dated at 1860 and this one. -Again, many thanks.

Gerry in MA

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
He appears to have been making watches earlier than the book states, his is also listed in the 1851 census in Coventry as a watch manufacturer with 30 men. He was about 37 years of age at the time.

I would guess the other watch they dated by hallmarks in the case back, but since yours doesn't have date marks in the case it is hard to pin down an approximate date.

I am guessing the case may have been made in this country, I know the eagle symbol was often used here & we were one of the few countries that did regulate the markings that were placed on jewelery. I tried to determine who's maker mark was G.D.&Co. but haven't located them.

I know the eagle marks has been discussed before, here is on old post where it was talked about;
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...951010431#8951010431

Tom