Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My first Fusee PW - comments appreciated "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
I fell in to a fussee clock last year and had great fun with it. Then Victor got me interested in the PW's... so here goes my first $40 venture in to the world of tiny fussee.

It's about a 16s and wants to run...

I didn't realize the case and movement are matching serial numbers until I took the photos. It appears to me to be a later model with the patent cock and lever escape.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
Dials a bit rough, but should clean up reasonably well

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
This makers mark is really intricate and doesn't cross to anything I know

IHC Member 1736
posted
reserved for inside other cover... It has marks for Chester, silver, and a Capitol R in a box which could be 1835 or if I extrapolate out... somewhere around 1901.

IHC Member 1954
posted
I believe that it is probably the 1901 hallmark but couldn't swear to it.the earlier fusee's were usually verge type.this looks something like one I have that is from 1909,and still didn't have any balance screws etc on the balance wheel.with a little elbow grease and some cleaning and lube,you should have a nice old fusee.if you need a crystal,i probably have one.have fun with it.not as much fun as the older verge fusee's,but a little less complicated to fix also.enjoy it.

Posts: 203 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 11, 2014
IHC Member 1736
posted
I killed it. It had a blown bottom balance pivot jewel... I mangled it pretty bad trying to get it out. I've never seen the slide bar style keeper on a jewel... I thought it would just slide out, kind of like a taper pin... but it didn't and died an ugly death.

Rather sad actually... I think the only other thing wrong with the watch was that the hook was broken off the barrel end of the chain.

Great experience though... I wouldn't hesitate to take on another in the future.

IHC Member 1954
posted
if you want to fix it,i probably have what you need to repair it.give me a description and picture and I might be able to give you something that will work.i have a big boneyard of fusee movements and plates etc.Vic

Posts: 203 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 11, 2014
IHC Member 1736
posted
Thanks Victor. I might take you up on that. The plate is fine, I just destroyed the carrier (slide bar) that locks down the jewel. If I had looked at this blown up picture before I started, I would have drifted it right to left rather than left to right. It looks like the burr left from the cut off is what got me in trouble.

I'll email you separately for an address so I can send you the plate and broken bits.

IHC Member 1736
posted
The only other ailment seems to be the loss of the hook on the end of the chain.

Life Member
posted
Those hooks are fairly easy to make, the hardest part being getting the angle on the i8nside of it just right for the hole in the barrel.

Here's a chain I repaired a few years ago. I had to make anew hook, and fix the fusee where the pinned end of the chain had pulled out of it. That wasn't too bad a job, either. The most difficult part about that job was lengthening the groove, to create a "clean" area for the new pin. That photo was taken when I was checking the end of the chain against the new groove, to see if I had it deep enough to avoid kinking it. (Obviously, at that stage, it was still a tad too shallow.)

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015