• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Thomas Robert Russell "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
good morning. I purchased a 1890 T.R.Russsell silver pocket watch .18 church street liverpool.
It´s key wind, fusee with english lever escapement.
It´s looks great.
I want to know more about T.Russell. He made quality pocket watches?

Thanks
Manuel

Posts: 31 | Location: Veracruz, México | Registered: April 06, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Juan, Your watch was in the middle of the Thomas Russel & Sons Business life. They were making watches from 1870 - 1910. Your (fusee) watch if running is worth about US $800.00. It is somewhat unique because T. Russel used a clubfoot escapement. T Russel also made Chronographs and Karusel watches which are more valuable yet. Their products look like assemblies of some of their own works with Swiss and other (English) materials. But they were very stringent about quality. They are described on page 548 of the Price Guide that you can buy directly from IHC 185

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks David.
I have the book but want to know more.
Yes my watch works very well. Glass, case original. Hallmarks of chester,etc.

I think that it has english lever escape.
This is the link if you can see the kiond of escape please tell me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=23...e=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123
Where I can see a pic of clubfoot escape.
Thanks
Manuel

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The Club tooth escape wheel is shown as fig 261 and 263 while 262 and 264 are our more "normal" escape wheels for American Watches which have "toes".

The two Pallet designs for these are the "lever" and "anchor" types (using english terminology).
(pg 121, "Watch Escapements" by Dr, James Pellaton, N A G Press Ltd, England., c.a. 1920)

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks David.

And thanks for the explaining and pics.

Manuel