• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help, 10 Jewel Swiss (I think) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a Cylindre 10 Rubis pocket watch that is very old and in nice condition. I believe it is 40mm. It is a cute little piece that was working until I started point around in it. How do you find out values or information. The case is 0800 and both back covers say 22468. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Location: Carlsbad, California in the USA | Registered: October 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Roxie,

These lower end Swiss watches the vast majority have typically around $50 value working as a ball park figure, fun to have, repairs by a watchmakers would almost certainly exceed any value. Good to practice repairs on, you might want to look at getting some of the USA size 12 pocket watches parts are mostly available and if you read some of Bob Schussel post on this site there are some truly rare watches to be found for around $100

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Roxie,
Thanks for posting the photo for us, any chance of a shot of the dial and case?

I'll go along with Chris as regards values, although the case - and dial especially, can have a dramatic effect on these.
I've sold Cylinder watches on the bay frequently for up to £80 GBP, but given the present climate and recent faffing around with rules and reg's on that site, I wouldn't be too hopeful of anything fetching much there right now.

Your watch is actually a little better than the norm having a mostly jewelled train - very often the pivots on cylinder watches run in plain holes drilled in the brass plates.
So I would put this in the higher end of lower end Swiss cylinder watches ..... if you get my drift! Smile Big Grin Roll Eyes

I'll get down to some friendly jousting with Chris here though as regards using them for practice.
These are antique watches now whatever anyone thinks of their 'Grade' and lowly status in the Horological world, and they do have a following.
Please don't practice on it!
It may not be RR quality or have a famous name on its dial, but it does have its place in the world and the parts bin isn't it ...... hopefully!

Use junkers for practice but keep complete examples like this one intact and properly repaired if possible.

Although the main train is about as simple as you can get, the cylinder and pivots Do need to be treat with respect as they can be snapped all too easily, and if you break a cylinder you can kiss goodbye to it as a runner unless you get lucky with an affordable repairer that can handle this type of work (and stock a range of cylinders).

If a pivot breaks, it's largely a matter of knocking out either a taper or straight sided plug onto which the pivot is made - but you need special offset pivot punches and a hollow stake to change them.
Some repairers even re-pivot the original plugs!

The 0.800 grade of the case is probably the equivalent grade to your 'Coin' silver. If you can give us a shot of the hallmark, we may be able to tell you its origin.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006