• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My (Small) Collection "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi, I'm new so thought I'd introduce myself, my name is Joe and I'm British, interested in both collecting and repairing watches, but with very little experience. Thought I might introduce myself by showing a few of my watches.

Watch 1 is a Parkinson and Frodsham quarter repeater, with a duplex escapement. The case is silver and looks like it used to be gold plated, and the hallmarks have all been hidden other than the makers mark of Charles Wootton, which dates the case between 1866 and 1880. It has the serial number 14721, but I can't find anywhere to date this, if anyone can tell me where to look I'd be grateful.

Watch 2 is a lever escapement alarm watch which I think is either French or Swiss. It has a gunmetal case and feet so it can stand safely. I've dated it to around 1900 based on advertisements for similar watches.

Watch 3 is a slightly unusual brass cased fusee watch by Christopher Beck. The only watchmaker I can find named Christopher Beck died in 1810, and I know he insured a London property in 1807, so I would assume the watch is from around this time.

Watch 4 is an American Hamilton grade 936 railroad watch in a rolled gold case with a lever escapement including a double roller. Serial number 568562, which dates it to 1908. Oddly enough I noticed another member has the watch with a serial number one below.

I'd also like to say sorry in advance because I am likely to be asking a lot of questions on here, I'm learning, but slowly.

Posts: 78 | Location: Nottingham in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 30, 2013
posted
Watch 1

Posts: 78 | Location: Nottingham in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 30, 2013
posted
Watch 1 - Movement

posted
Watch 1 - The quarter repeater mechanism

posted
Watch 1 - A picture of how the hallmarks have been obscured, has anyone else seen the hallmarks hidden like this? Anyone know if it was a technique used to make the watch seem solid gold rather than plate, or is it something else?

posted
Watch 2 -

posted
Watch 2 - Side view

posted
Watch 2 - Movement

posted
Watch 3

posted
Watch 3 - Movement

posted
Watch 4

posted
Watch 4 - Movement

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Welcome Joe,
Nice little collection. Some very unique watches here.
Ask away, I learn a lot here from questions I wasn't even smart enough to ask.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1978 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Welcome Joe.
We learm by asking I know I did some.(asking and learning) Big Grin

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Thanks, well I will answer the few bits I can, but mainly I'll be asking (and learning) :P

posted
Hi Joe

A small collection of very nice and not so common watches - for sure not to start a repairman's career Wink

First information on watch 2:

Alarm clock pocket watch witf french origin:

Watch was made by Parrenin & Faivre; Villers-le-Lac; france. The trademark on the dial was registered 1901. The alarm mechanism was added to a common ebauche from FHF (Fabrique d'Horlogerie de Fontainemelon, swiss.
Alarm watches chiming on a wire gong are the rarer version of this watch type.
This mechanism was patented as swiss pat 20033 5th sept 1889 ; Charles Le Faivre

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Thanks a lot Gerald, I was struggling to find information I could read with this one, all I could find was adverts for similar watches, like "the superior" from 1901, thanks for the info.

posted
Watch 3:

Another 'Piece of Time'

Inner part of a double case britisch pocket watch made 1800 -1810. I can date this watch even with no knowledge of the watchmaker (you found the right one).
Can you confirm the watch as a verge escapement?

Verges with sub second were seldom made. Off centre dial, sub seconds, the dials intersecting.
(1790- ?). Arabic numerals and a broad oval pendant (pre 1800 roman numbers and a slim long pendant)

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
As far as I can remember it is a verge escarpment, but I'm away for two weeks now so can't double check until I get back sorry. Thanks for all the information it's been really helpful and interesting.