Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Patek Phillipe from Wright Kay Co. Detroit "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Here is a beautiful watch that I need hep with. I have never owned a Patek Phillipe and never expected to. I bought this watch without a look at the movement and as you can see from the pictures the case is an obvious replacement. The movement measures a true 14 size across the dial. I know that Wright Kay Co. were Patek Phillipe Representatives in the United Stated and I know they were a prestigious Detroit Jewelry Store. If anybody knows what to do about a case for this watch or has any suggestions about it I would love to hear. It does not fit in with my collection of American Railroad Watches so if anybody has an interest feel free to let me know.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Dial

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Stem and Case Screw

IHC Life Member
posted
Case Back

IHC Life Member
posted
Case complete with brazing rod filler.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Deacon

Beautiful looking movement, love those wolf teeth.

I wouldn't mind owning it just to say I had one but I would have a clue as to what is worth.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom, Thanks for your post. I don't think I will own another one unless I get very lucky.

Deacon

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
If you are interested the firm of Wright Kay was Henry M. Wright, John Kay & Jacob S. Farrand. Jewelers, Opticians, Importers and Dealers in Watches, Clocks, Diamonds, Marble Statuary, Silver and Plated Wares and Fine Stationery, and Manufacturer Jewelers

Henry was born Nov 1842 in Ohio
John was born Feb 1850 in Scotland

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Morning Deacon,
Thats a beautiful movement and dial! I would be very interested in knowing, from some of our brothers/sisters in 185, what the case for your open face mvmt. must have looked like and whether it was 14K or 18K. I would also like to know more specifics on the mvmt. such as; jewel count, adjustments,manufacture date, and any records on it that might surface from the factory.
It appears that you may be in the market for a case for your little treasure. It looks like a "moustache-lever" in stem wind & set. Perhaps you may want to add the mm's of both plates and thickness. That may help someone out there to check their stock and see whether they may have a case to offer up to restore your watch.
Thanks for showing us a really fine watch and a "works in progress". I hope you are able to get a bit more info. on your particular watch and get 'er cased up! Please keep us informed. Regards, bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom, Thank you for the information. I don't know where I heard it but I think they were also U. S. agents for Patek Phillipe, although I am not sure what that meant in 1889. Thanks again and regards.

Deacon

IHC Life Member
posted
Hello Buster, The movement is an open face pendant set movement. It measures 41mm across the dial and about 39.5mm across the back. The movement is 8mm thick. Not exact because my micrometer is dead and I used a best fit gauge. It does measure as an American 14 size on the dial side. Thanks for your suggestion and hopefully someone has a case. I don't think it will look right in my chrome Defiance case.

Deacon