Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question about pins that hold plates together "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I am wondering what other use for the material to make the pins that hold watch plates & dials on. I have purchased some pins for hairsprings but the larger pins that hold the plates together I haven't been able to locate. I am wondering if someone has a source for the wire for the larger pins or a suggestion on how to make them. Everything I come up with is too large a gauge.

Thanks
Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Tom

there are assortments of conical brass pins but I don't know where in the States. Often the one's you need are missing. I take a piece (3-4 cm) of brass rod in a hand held mini drill (dremel) or a flexible hand piece and grind it down on a mid coarse sharpening stone. The trick is to work flat. You can use a piece of wood and slightly press down the brass during the grinding. Cut of the piece you need.

Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks for the advice Gerald, I will give that a try, I had tried to make some by hand but had trouble keeping them round, I hadn't thought of the dremel.

Tom

posted
Tom
The pins are called '(long)taper(ed)brass pins'

look here : pins
scroll down to T-S 469

Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Tom did you find the pins you needed. I probably have some if you still need some. I have several assortments of different sizes. I am not a watch repairman so I never can tell if they are small pin plate pins or hairspring pins.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Robert

I haven't purchased any yet, but I had missed Gerald's post, so I am checking to see if that business will ship to the USA.

Thanks for your offer but I would like to get a small stash of each size of pin so I have them when I need them.

Tom

posted
Tom

If not I will get them for you and put them in the post to you.

Clive

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Clive, I got an email back & they said they would ship to me, now I will have to check out all their pages.

Tom