• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Info wanted on another English fusee "Click" to Login or Register 
posted

Here is another fusee I own from the hallmarks I know it was made around 1812 it has a silver mark for sterling .925 and a london mark crowned leopard with crown used from 1478-1822 and a case maker's mark TB I think for Thomas Baker? and diamond mark that I know nothing about and a case paper with C.Kendrick of Droitwich England could be the maker?I would like more info on the maker that could be hard there is only a serial no on movement 19702 but any info would be nice I love the Father time on the movement and that it was all hand made thanks for any help and it keep good time being 197 years old.And I like the big bulls eye crystals they have on these.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mike, not much help on who actually made it but in the 21st Century Ed. of Loomes it has the following & John maybe be able to explain some of the info for the cities;
KENDRICK, Charles, Alcester (Warx) 1842-50

KENDRICK, George Droitwich (Worcs) 1850-96 Sometimes Hendrick

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Thank's Tom
With no marks on the movement I thought this one would be tough to find out any thing am I right about any of the hallmarks?

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Beautiful Verge Mike, and nice to have a watchpaper too.

Kendrick is most likely a repairer that took care of it later in its life if the case hallmark fixes the date of manufacture.

George Kendrick is also listed in Loomes Vol 1, as working between 1850 - 1876, so quite a bit later than the watch case, and appears maybe later examples of his work have been unearthed for the longer working dates.

There are a few other Kendrick and Hendrick makers listed, but either too early or late for yours.

Alcester is a mere spit from Stratford on Avon, and Droitwich about 14 miles further West, so very likely a family connection there.
This link will take you to Multimap for the route between the two:

http://tinyurl.com/7pgxp7

Working with the assay date marks, I believe the casemaker was Thomas Bligh, who first registered the 'TB' incursive mark on 22 Nov 1797 at 16 Gt Sutton St, Clerkenwell, and re registered a few times consecutively to 28 Aug 1821, which included an address at 40 Gt Sutton St.

All other entries for that mark are quite a bit later than when your case was assayed.

Very hard to tell often who actually made these watches, and quite amazing when you think about the time it must have taken to hand craft them.

Often there's a trademark on the actual backplate (dial plate is pinned separately to the backplate on these), but those marks will be for the foundry that made the raw castings.

Any names and dates on the back of the dial will refer to the dial maker.

So unless the maker engraves the movement itself, it's anybody's guess generally who's workshop actually crafted it.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006