• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

DD Neveron Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have had this watch for many years and never tried to research the maker, so I am asking for anyones help in doing so. The dial is marked DD Neveren, London.
The watch has a large outer case measuring 2.4 inches across. It has an inner case 2.250 across and the watch itself is in a silver case 1.900 across. Inside the second case is a watchpaper marked H.C.Harder Dihrmacher in Uelzen. The fusee movement is also marked DD Neveron, London (different spelling of last name than on the dial). Any help would be appreciated. Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
I would also add that I see no visable hallmarks on the silver case, the actual case the movement is in has a number 253 (I think) and what looks to be a worn off set of initials at one time.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Ray,

Quite an unusual 'Pair Case' Verge watch you have there, and especially still retaining it's original cases and an undamaged enamel dial.

Nice too, to see some watches appearing on the boards that have seen life in the real world rather than the inside of a bank vault.

Baillie lists D.B.D Neveren (also as Neuren or Neweren) London in 1784.
Has watches exhibited in the Glasgow art gallery and Ilbert Collection in the British Museum.

No info on the maker named on the watchpaper though, sorry!

Hope this helps.

Best regards

John.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Thyou very much John, exactly the information I am hunting for.
Most of my collection with the exception of maybe 4 or 5 watches see a daily rotation of use. The way I see it, why not use them.

Ray

posted
Hi Ray, Not sure if this will be helpful, but attached are some pics of a watch by the same maker. They appear to have many similarities and this one does have some hallmarks on the inner case. I have not yet looked them up to try date the watch. I would think if these hallmarks are representative of those used around 1784, then you can feel even more confident in the age of your watch. The movement on this one fits well in the case and nothing stands out to me that the case has been changed, however there is circular outline on the bottom hallmark that appears to be from a hole that was once drilled for a winding arbor positioned differently than the existing movement. As that hallmark certainly appears to have been stamped after the hole has filled, I would assume there is a possibility this case is the original one to this movement (although it may not have been the only movement that has been in the case). Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can comment on the degree to which these hallmarks could be helpful in further confirming the age of this, and therefore your, watch. Other than the hallmarks in the pictures, there is only one more mark that is difficult to discern on the pendant, which may be that of the pendant maker. This one does have Egyptian pillars as well and the dial and movement both appear to spell the makers name the same (D.D. Neveren). To me, your dial looks more representative of the late 1700s than the one on my watch. Hope this helps. Tom

Posts: 9 | Location: Southwestern USA | Registered: May 19, 2006
posted
Here is a pic of the movement.

posted
Here is a pic of the dial.

posted
Your watch may be marked "London", but it was made on the Continent, perhaps Swiss or Dutch. This from the style of the balance bridge and the lack of English hallmarks.

It's Uhrmacher, German for watch maker.

Posts: 5 | Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 07, 2008